Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 eliptical

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Apr 6, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI am wondering about 3/4 eliptical. Are any of you running it? Have you seen it in action? I saw something on Pirate4x4 about it on a yota. The way the guy hooked it all up looked good. I have a couple extra sets of springs at home I might try it. What do you guys think?

P.S. I'm shoplifting some garage time back. Now would be a good time to set it up. The frame isn't painted yet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

One of the guys running a truggy that lives near Steve runs it. I feel bad but the name escapes me. I believe he doesn't recommend it. When he would put it in drive the extra 1/4 loads up and lifts the truck, said it makes for some scary launchs.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

" lifts the truck"
    sounds like fun /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

fun... dangerous,.. often the samething

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Please help out the local village idiot and explain to me the concept of 1/4 and 3/4 elliptical springs?

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

6. scoutillac

If I'm correct 1/4 is basically 1/4 of a leaf pack mounted upside down usually by a shackle to the axle. The upper part of the pack is clamped together and fixed to the frame. 3/4 is similar to a stock set up and then add a 1/4 leaf between the frame and shackle. This probably isn't the clearest explanation. Go to pirate4x4.com and look in the tech section to see the 3/4 set up on a yota.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Not a good idea if you wheel hard. If you want to be a ramp-champ, then go for it. They have a tendancy to unload suddenly on sidehills, cause some scary decents as well when they unload, and hill climbs can be a bear. It is a cheap way to gain massive ammounts of rear flex, but if that flex isnt balanced through the front end, chances are you will remove that setup quickly.

There are several people out there that use the 3/4 elip setup and it works for them. But most people get rid of it shortly after installing it. The first time it unloads on a sidehill you will need new underwear.

8. scoutillac

OK I think I'm convinced not to do it. I don't think I've heard one good thing about it.

9. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Okay, I'll give you a good review. The jeep I just got has 3/4 elliptical rear. I got it from a friend of mine who has wheeled it very hard for years now and it works great. I have ridden with him and never noticed any unloading or other weird problems. I should have the jeep running by Friday and am hoping to go wheeling this weekend, so we'll see if I have any problems.

10. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

TJ is the name sDog /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I run it but I really dont think it's worth the time and effort, it does get you a bit more of rear droop but the stress on the "goofy leaf" is a lot. As for unloading, I put a
    limit strap in the center of my diff to combat that, I have no problems with hill climbs, off, camber ect.
    But If I had it to do again I would just save the dough for coilovers.

[​IMG]

11. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

yes, I didn't mention that, mine also has a limiting chain and links from the axle to the frame. I can get pics of it later this week when I get it running again so I can flex it out so you can really see everything.