Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 or 1 ton axles...which years??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wetbackZO, Dec 4, 2006.

1. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

I'm in the market for some real axles for one of my rigs and am asking the experts for help getting the right ones. Which year GM trucks have the good axles I need??(D60F and 14bolt FF) What shoul I stay away from?? Your help is appreciated!:bow:

2. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

I'd like to get the most modern axles possible, I have considered Dynatrac stuff but too expensive for my poor self...

3. IIVIIoonshiner

IIVIIoonshiner Registered Member

new and cheap = good luck

you can get a d60 with limited slip and 4.56 gears///14bff 4.56 gears w/ a detroit from a military k20 or k30truck for cheap and if your handy enough to go through them then those would be badass :) (what i did)

<-----Looky

FYI they are WIDE unless put under a fullsize rig... mocked up on my scout they are plenty stable looking lol

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

GM started the 60 in 78, maybe 77, thru 91 in the crew cabs, but K30s and K35s only. Bout the only differnce in those years are the axles shafts, 80 and earlier had the tapered inners, whereas the newer ones had the same size diameter on the whole shaft, or close to it. The 14ff didn't have too many changes, but in 87 or so they went to the new design, don't remember what it was, but easy to tell by the ribs on top of the axle, sorta looks like coolng fins. As for the best years, anything newer as it might have less abuse, but can't always go by that. Probly the military trucks, 4.56s and sometimes a T/L, and 14ff with 4.56s and a Detroit.

5. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

when did d60f go from kongpins to ball joints?

6. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

aight, so ball joints are prefered right??

7. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Kingpins are normally perfered. Will stand up to a lot more abuse before needing to be serviced.

8. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i prefer my kingpins

9. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

aight then...the search is now on!

10. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

:bow: el ZO es chingon:bow:
    82 Chevy Blazer
    84 GMC Jimmy
    85 GMC K1500
    79 Chevy K10 LWB
    94 Suburban (2WD)
    85 GMC S15 Jimmy(project)
    77 Scout II
    68 IHC Travelall
    83 Toyota
    Isuzu Trooper II(project)
    97 ZJ(wife's DD)
    86 MJ(project)
    83 Volvo 242 GL Turbo
    86 'vette--yeah baby!

Thats quite the list of vehicles you have there. Is that for the S-15 Jimmy? What kind of wheeling? What are the plans?

11. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

I just want some strong axles I can trust to do some combination of mud, rocks and sand; you know, the usual general wheeling...
    actually, i'm thinking of selling most of my junk to build one bad a$$ rig with the cash, or put a good down for an H2...but it's all in the air still. Wify is finally joining the "workforce" next month and maybe there will be extra cash flow to help with my extremely slow projects(too darn many and only one day off per week!!). The S15 jimmy is actually gonna become my "river-runner", gonna chop most of the body off, throw a solid front on it and miller-lock front and rear, and build some kind of cage on it...I really would not mind putting the one ton axles under the scout, but that sucker is ruuuusssstttyyy, he he he....I guess once I get me some real axles I will decide where to throw 'em under!!

12. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

So the consensus is military axles with 4.56, detroit locker in rear and limited slip up front?

What is the going rate for those axles and where would you look for them? How much work would it take to put them under a K5?