Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 t axles in a K5 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85k5dsl, Feb 28, 2006.

1. 85k5dsl

85k5dsl 1/2 ton status

I just purchased a K-5 and was thinking of replacing the f & r 10 bolts with axles from a 3/4 ton. Would this be worth it or should I just modify the 10 bolts ?

Thanks
    Mark

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I'm not sure. You may be the first person to think of this.

Just kidding!:D

This is usually the 2nd or 3rd mod in a K5 buildup. Use the SEARCH function and find out all you've ever wanted to know.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Save your money until you have enough for 1 ton stuff. Wheel the 10b for now.

4. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

It depends on what you want to do with your rig.

First off the front 10 bolt is the same axle as the 3/4 ton front with differant hubs.

Second if you like to drive kinda hard or want tires larger than 35" I would recommend the stronger rear end.

I changed out my rear for a 14bolt (3/4 or 1 ton rear) and upgraded my front to an 8 lug set up, essentialy making my 'Burb a 3/4 ton. The nice thing about doing it this way is if you plan on going bigger later on you can use your 8 lug wheels with the 1 ton front end. Also 14bolt rears are easy to find at good prices, I got mine for $100 after about 2 weeks of searching.

I personaly would not put much $$$$$ into 10 bolts.

Just my .02, do a search you will get lots of info. on this topic.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Matters on what size tire you will ultimately run. I am going no larger than 37", so the 3/4 set up is, IMO, perfect for me, and I don't have to pay $1500 for a D60. If you plan on running larger than 37" tires, wait for a 60. Oh yeah, I blew up three 10 bolt rears with tires of 31" and 35", but I do have a very rare "Torquemonster" 305.

John