Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 to 1/2 ton rear spring swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Sep 6, 2003.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

The rear passenger side spring is sagging on my 77 3/4 ton pickup. I have a set of rear 1/2 ton springs laying around, my question is if I swap in a set of 1/2 ton springs will I loss ride heigth? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Maybe a little. The bed in a 3/4 and 1/2 are the same. 3/4t frame is a bit heaver. Then there is the loss due to a leaf pack with less over all arch. More important is are the spring packs the same legnth (sp?) Some '77s had 52" packs while most had 56". Hope this helps.

3. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. I have 52" springs, guess I'll swap in the 1/2 ton springs.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its more about the leaf count thananything else, there are big10's with 7+1 packs throughout the 70s and they were 56" pack 1/2tons, and then you see 3/4ton withonly 52"and only about 4+1 packs,. so...

add or remove as many to make the truck ride how you like.

you can always move the hanger and put in 56" mains too. hardest partis grinding and punching out the four rivets.

1/2 and 3/4 ton frames are same dimensions, 1 ton are taller frame rails

good luck

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I went the opposite way and put 3/4 ton packs in my 1/2 ton pickup. The 1/2 ton packs will not carry as much load as the 3/4 ton packs but the only difference is 1 leaf. If you take appart the old 3/4 ton spring pack and put the extra leaf in the 1/2 ton pack you should have the same ride height. But do both sides the same way or you will probably still lean!