Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton 1/2 ton compatibility?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, Apr 29, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I just found a guy that has a 1982 3/4 ton Chevy truck with single rear wheels. Someone had stole the rear axel out from under it with a torch while he was out of town )he is a truck driver) They also stole the column and lots of the interior out of it. He wants to keep the motor and trans out of it but he is willing to sell the rest of the truck to me for 350.00.

From my search it sounds like the front axel should bolt right up to my 1979 K5 1.2 ton. Is this correct? What other items would I need to get off the truck? I do not have aq place to store another vehicle so I think I am going to strip it at his house and let him do whatever he wants with the body and things I do not get. Is there any difference in the steering components or should I just grab the the axel and use my current steering components? I can also get the transfer case and front driveline if it would be worth the work to remove. I currently have a 203 fulltime case and I think people prefer the non-full time cases. I am not sure what style case the truck has in since Ihave yet to go look at it, but I was wanting to get some educated k5 opinions. I can pickup a 14bolt FF from a local bone yard for almost nothing especially if I trade in my current 12 bolt and D44.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

They will bolt in place of each other. If you are going to buy the truck for $350, just to get the front axle, don't bother. You can convert your current front axle to 8 lug for less, and not have to worry about gear ratios. The front axle out of 1/2 ton & 3/4 tons are the same with the exception of the bearing hubs, rotors, and backing plates. So you just need those items off a 3/4 ton D44 and you would have the same strength axle for less. If he has a gear ratio in his truck you want then take the axle, tcase, driveshafts, and anything worth any $ and get those. Swap your front axle out, then sell everything else.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ahh man that is a bummer are the one tons the only only ones with a D60? I thought I would getting an upgrade strength axel. The 8-6 lug conversion is not a big deal to me I just wanted the added strength of a 60. Guess I might be back to shoping for a front axel.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Only 1 ton chevys have D60's. Sorry. Unless the front axle was swapped to a d60.