Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton 10 bolt to 1/2 ton dana 44 compatibility?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Nov 17, 2001.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Today at the junkyard, I found a 3/4 ton 10 bolt. I'd like to use this to convert my 6 lug dana 44 up to 8 lugs. The hubs looked different on the inside and frankly, I couldn't get it apart. There was a c-clip on the axles shaft behind the locking hub that I removed but I couldnt get it apart? Any ideas. Additionally, the rotor was the same size as my 1/2 ton dana 44!!! I managed to find what looked like a dodge based 3/4 ton dana 44 with a larger rotor by 1 inch which disasembled just like my 1/2 ton on my chevy, only the knuckle, calipers and backing plate were different meaning I'd need the whole knuckle. The spline counts on all three axle shafts are the same...the knuckles all measure the same to the main axle housing... can anyone throw me a clue? I'd rather not mix Dodge parts onto the font end if at all possible just to prevent any future confusion.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

If the Dana 44 you have is the later year one, with the same style hubs as the 10 bolt (they made 2 versions of the D44), then everything you need for the 8 lug conversion can be had from the 3/4 ton 10 bolt.

I believe you can get away with just the rotors though. When I did my D44 buildup, I used parts from a 3/4 ton 10 bolt on everything from the nuckles out.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have what I believe to be a 1979 D44, do you remember the cut off year? Both my current 6 lug D44 and the 8 lug 10 bolt had 12" disks. Does this mean I could retain my backing plate which would leave me needing the spindle? Do you recall how you remove the disk after the caliper, hub and c-clip behind the hub are removed?

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Your D44 and the 10 bolt should come apart the same way. The best thing to do when in doubt is to take the whole assembly. Backing plates, spindles, hubs, and rotors. This way if they ARE different, you have them in hand. And if they are the same you have spares. I don't understand how the 3/4 and 1/2 ton disk's are the same but I'm not a pro on axles so that might be possible.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>