Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton 14 bolt brake question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Apr 8, 2003.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I got one of the newer style 3/4 14 bolts, with the little shoes for the ebrakes. I am swapping this in for my 10 bolt stock rear. Trying to get this parts list together has been quite the scavenger hunt! What I am looking for is the brakes lines now. There is a proportioning valve that sits on top of the pumpkin (rear) with metal line running to each of the drums now. I am putting in 6" of lift at the same time. I am going to order a longer line for the center brake line that comes down to the prop-valve. So...my question is this.

Can I use the same proportioning valve?

Can I just replace the fittings from the old drums to the new calipers?

What are the fittings for the new calipers?

What are the parts I am goin to need that I haven't thought of for this brake conversion?

I tried calling a dealer parts department and they were about as helpful as my grandmother would be on such a project. Appearantly the computer didn't have a button for "use your F***ing brain!"

2. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Dwarf, The length of brake line won't affect the way the proportioning valve works. As for changing the ends, you'll need the flex line hoses mounted to the steel lines anyway since calipers move and will fatigue a rigid line. That should answer the question of the fittings. Hope this helps, Trukman1

3. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I guess I wasn't explicit. The question about the proportioning valve wasn't related to the length of the line, but rather to the new style brakes. I didn't know if the prop-valve would restrict flow to the disk brakes, which is supposed to take more fluid. I can just test it and see I suppose.