Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton 14 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by carpeonnel, Apr 6, 2006.

1. carpeonnel

carpeonnel 1/2 ton status

I recently came across a 3/4 ton 2wd Chevy work truck and immediately checked out the 14 bolt rear end. Of course the brakes are pretty much shot but the wear and tear inside was very minimal. It's got an open diff and 3.26 gears and I believe I got a steal on it cuz I paid 180 bucks for it and the driveshaft! Well, it's definetely gonna go in my 89 Blazer but my problem here is this: I know basically nothing about 14 bolts and the specs that go with them. The donor truck was in a junkyard with no doors, no grill, and no other visible way I knew to find out the year of the truck. I know it wasn't a TBI and I know it's older than 78 cuz of the hood so it's somewhere in between 79-86. I know there's different variations of 14 bolts and I'm wondering what I might have here. How can you tell if it's a full floater? Basically, if you have any info you think might help me here I'd greatly appreciate. Thank you

2. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hub will look like this for a full floater

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

:confused: :confused: :confused:

6. carpeonnel

carpeonnel 1/2 ton status

when I took the cover off and counted the teeth on the ring gear and pinion and divided it came out to like 3.23 (42/13)

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

$180 bucks a steal? ...hmm i paid $70 bucks for two 14bltff with 4.10s..

they must be harder to find in your neck of the woods...

anyways. you should enjoy the 14blt..

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The only 14 bolt I've personally seen 3.23's in was a semi floater. I wouldn't give 2 cents for it if that's what it is. Just my $.02.

Semi Floating 14 bolt. Notice the lack of hubs sticking out the side. That's a full floater behind it, with a hub sticking out of the wheel.

[​IMG]

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You paid a bit much for it IMO. But, you have just gained some piece of mind if it's a FF. Whatever you do, do not bolt that thing until you get the correct gearing for your tire size. You will find a wealth of info on that axle here.

You can get just about any gear for the carrier. Just get the thick gears. If you want traction, go with a detroit. They are cheap and easy. Lose the rear drum brakes and convert to disc. That will save you a lot of weight. If the rig has been sitting awhile, consider rebuilding the hubs too.

Git'r done, bolt'r in and have fun! :)

10. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Could possibly have been a van axle added under a truck. The last one I got had some crazy 320ish gears in it. Check the wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface distance. I think its 67" for a van axle.

11. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

More than likely a semi-floater. Same rear-end I run. Not as stout as a FF 14bolt but its definately an upgrade. Depends on what you use your rig for. Mine gets me into the woods and back, general huntig rig. I plan on doing the disc brake conversion on mine with parts from Black Widow and adding some type of locker.

My axles came from an old 3/4-ton work truck I had. You paid a little much for it but who cares? Run it and have fun. :D