Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 Ton 2wd Crew Convert To 4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hvactech, Mar 2, 2007.

1. hvactech

hvactech Newbie

Yeah, I'm a new guy to this site looking for some input or advice. I am looking to build a truck a 85' or so 3/4 ton crew cab. I've looked around and I can find 2wd crew cabs but not any 4wd. I KNOW it would be a lot of work but can a 3/4 ton 2wd, AT chassis be converted to 4wd. If you remove all the 2wd suspension does the 4wd suspension bolt on with minor or major mods? Ive heard that the rear spring perches have to be moved. I've read that 2wd cabs equiped with automatics have a smaller hump than 4x4's. Is this a problem for transfer case clearance on a crew cab? Also, I want to chop the frame down and set a short bed on it. I 've seen this done on reg cab frames but I haven't seen a crew done. Was curious how bad if any does this weaken the frame if properly welded. I want to tow a 6000lb 5th wheel with the truck and would rather have the short box but wasn't sure if this would weaken frame to much. Sorry if I rambled to much just had several questions before buying truck(s) to start a project like this..Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions!

2. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

The 2wheel frame and the 4x4 frame are the same but it will require lots of drilling of the 2wheel frame for the 4x4 spring mounts and hangars.The steering boxes will have to be swapped too unless you plan a crossover steering.The front crossmember is different too.The transmission tunnel in the cab may or may not clear.Alot of the 4x4 tunnels bolt on so you may be able to swap it to the other cab but it will probably involve cutting and or drilling to fit it.The carpetting or floor mats will have to be swapped too.I put a 2" bodylift under my burb when I swapped the 2wheel body onto the 4x4 frame.I probably could have got away with a 1" with the th400/205.The rear spring hangers don`t have to be moved but will probably have to be removed because the 4x4 hangers are longer.I like the idea of having a crewcab shortbox too but I guess cutting and welding of the frame would depend on your welding skills or whoever you are going to get to do it.I have seen pics of crewcab shortboxes and they look cool.I can`t see why the frame wouldn`t be strong enough if done properly.I would say though that you re in for alot of work though to do the swap.It can be done but it depends on your skills,time and money.post up some pics if you do it though.I`d like to check it out.

3. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I've done it. It's easier than a body swap. It is some work though.

4. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Pics???????Please????????
    Jimbo

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've done it/doing it. These guys have pretty much covered everything. Your in good hands!

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

For what it's worth, I've got a 91 C30 CC, 350/4l80 , and the tranny tunnel is 4x4 style. I don't know when GM changed the floorpan on the crewcabs, but it will make my conversion easier.
    Jimbo
    My biggest dillemma is; do I go crewcab short bed, or do I go crewcab on a burb frame for a super short bed?

7. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

There is crew on a burb chassis in my town.Its kewl in away but the bed is way shorter than a shortbed.Which means alot of bodywork.I can`t say for sure but i think he still had to move his axle back a couple inches and in my opinion I don`t think it looks as nice as a crew with an actual shortbox.It might be the fact that it is all stock with no lift that I don`t like it as much though.There are on the other hand a couple crewcab longboxes around town with 37 to 40" tires on them that I think look pretty nice

8. hvactech

hvactech Newbie

thanks for your advice. didn't even think about a crew on a burb frame with a extra short box but that would be to short to pull a 5th wheel with. I'm going to look at a couple trucks this weekend, when i get started i will post pics.
    thanks

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Quickie info:

All crewcabs are 1-ton frames; the "3/4" ton sixpacks just have the medium-GVWR optioned springs from a 1-ton SRW single cab. In other words, a sixpack frame is the narrower spring spacing, and is the taller and thicker style frame, even it's a C-20 sixpack.

Crewcab wheelbase is 164.5"; regular cabs are 131.5", and Burbs are 129.5". (All for 73-87/91, obviously.)

-- A

11. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

This website has a BASIC opinion AT BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel that he is limited in his knowledge and ability.

For the tasks that he was saying were "DIFFICULT" to ME were not "DIFFICULT"!

I feel that unwiring and then rewiring a vehicle is more difficult then removing and adding 2 dozen brackets.

Just my .02!

12. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I think I have a new project for my 91'.