Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton axels-already done search

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rustyk5, May 3, 2005.

1. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

I'm still a K5 newbie but I am a little confused about 1/2 and 3/4 ton axles. If I understand it right there is no strenght difference between the 2. The only advantage is lower gearing is more common and a bigger disc brake up front. Am I wrong with this assumption?
    I ask because I want to run 35's and a 3.42 or 3.73 ratio. A 1/2 ton swap wouldn't involve the expense of new rims and u-joints.
    I know I will be maxing out 10bolts with that tire size but this will alow me to wheel with a decent ratio cheap.
    Thanks
    Andy

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

3/4 tons will get you either a 14sf or 14FF rear end which both are alot stronger than the stock 1/2 ton 10 bolts. The fronts will be the same strength and athe only difference is one is 6 lug(1/2ton) and the other is 8 lug(3/4ton)..

Another option for you would be to find a 14SF out of a newer hevay half p/u or light duty 3/4 ton with 6 lug axle shafts. This way you can run the same wheels and tires with a stronger rear axle.

But the 10 bolt may hold up ok depending on what type of wheeling you do and how hard you are on the skinny pedal...

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

boy it sure is a good thing that you didnt try to put "3.42 or 3.73" and "decent ratio" in the same sentence. for 35s, 4.10s are the highest i would go. do you have a 700R4?

4. WARP1

WARP1 Registered Member

I did the same thing you are considering. The gears and bearings alone would have cost $400 for my 1/2 and I got my 3/4 ton axles for $450. The front 3/4 axle has stronger wheel bearings and 12.5" rotors. The 3/4 ton rears are much stronger than a 1/2 ton rear. The 14fsf is good for 38" tires and the 14ff is good for 44" tires. (That's just the common wisdom. I only ran 35" tires with my 14ff.) If you have a trans with no overdrive (th350, th400, or sm465) get 3/4 axles with 4.10 gears.

A newer 14sf with 6 lugs will require you to move the spring perches (this requires welding). The older 3/4 ton stuff will bolt in with only a u-joint change. (I am assuming you have an '73-91 K5 Blazer).

If you haven't spent a bunch of money on fancy 1/2 wheels and tires, I say go 3/4 ton.