Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton axle inspection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Apr 17, 2001.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I am going to buy a set of 3/4 ton axles this summer. What should I look for when inspecting them for wear. Is there anything in particular I should look for to make sure I get a good set. Also, what is a good price for a 14 bolt and Dana 44 or 3/4 ton 10 bolt axle set?
    Thanks

2. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

When you find a set that you are interested in, make sure that whoever is selling them will let you take the diff cover off to inspect the gears. dont buy if they wont, cause that could possibly mean that the gears or bearings are screwed. Look for broken of chipped teeth on the ring and pinion (take a flashlight). Look for any metal shavings or anything out of the ordinary at the bottom of the pumpkin too. Pull the axles out if you can and look at them. Look at the splines for any evidence of twisting or excessive wear. If you see broken teeth on a set that has the wrong gear ratio from what you want, then see if the owner will drop the price and get them as is. You might be able to get them cheaper that way and have some extra money for the new gears. If you buy them from a junk yard you can get em failry cheap but then you will get what you pay for and might have to do a rebuild either way. Locally, I can get a 14 bolt for about $100 from the junk yard. 8 lug 44s and 10 bolts are a little hard to come by but I have seen them. If you can find a Dana 60 for the right pricce, go that route.

'78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt rear w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://65.11.18.114>http://65.11.18.114</A>

3. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Are there any seals I should replace? What about the bearings?