Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton axle swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jfabert, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jfabert

jfabert 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My buddy has a set of 3/4 ton axles off a burb he wants to get rid of. He said he would sell me the set for $200.00 and the front has been rebuilt from the ball joints out. I did alittle searching on the site and I found a thread that said that a 44 has no more strength than a 10 bolt but its a heavy 44 they tell me. Im not to sure, dont have a whole lot of experance with them. All I know is that I have already broke a shaft in the 10 bolt and want to get rid of them. My true question is what all will I need to change on my 87 K5 to swap them in. The axles come with the leafs, and the ubolts and plates. the front also has all the lifted stearing arm and the drag link. I know I should get new ubolts but what about the ujoints? Are the drive lines difrent or could I just get by for now with the ujoints that will fit the 44 and the drive lines I have now and are the lengths the same? All info will help me out alot. Thanx

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Everything is bolt in. get the spring plates from the 3/4 ton rear, your 1/2 ton plates wont work. Also you will need a conversion u-joint for the rear shaft. Steering should bolt up also, this is a very easy swap I have done 3.

Do a search on hear, this is a swap thats been done by hundereds of people and you should be able to find all the info you would ever want (and then some!).

3. poolcues

poolcues 1/2 ton status

ditto to jk3078

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

agreed - it is very easy. just try to remember to have a friend there when you are getting it under the rig. the 14b isn't so bad, but the front end can be a serious pain to get under your rig by yourself. that's what i did and it was hell.

5. jfabert

I searched last night and found a lot of threads that say that the 10 bolt and the dana 44 is pritty much the same thing. So would this just be a waste of my time and money to do this swap? I will need to put diffrent gears in the 44 and 14 because they are the stockers. They told me that the 14 is the light 14 and front is a heavy 44. I still havent seen them yet, just taking their word for it. I dont want to have to spend the money and get a little is any more strength

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you are going to keep the orgianal front axle you will also need to put the eigth lug stuff on that axle so you don't have to run to different types of rims

7. jfabert

I just think I will hold off for a 60 and a ff 14. Thanx every one.

8. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Who is this "friend" that has axles I may take them off his hands!

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Heavy 44 just means that it is 8-lug and light 14 bolt means it is a 14SF. Parts are more expensive for the 14SF than a 14FF. I also say to wait for a 60/14FF combo that you can buy.

Ira

10. jfabert

He lives a block away from Hunter Jr High. Ill see if he wouldnt mind if I gave you his # if you want.

11. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Sweet I drive by Hunter at least once a week and as of monday it may be everyday if they move my office:rolleyes: Ask him what he wants for them :D