Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 Ton Axle Upgrade Complete

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to share my excitement. For those of you who don't know, my Blazer is a '90 with the 350/700R4/NP241 combo. Up til last weekend it had stock 10 bolt axles with 2.73 gearing, on 33" muds. Now it's on a 14 FF rear/Dana 44 front with 4.10's, limited slip rear. What a major improvement!! I have some pics on my Webshots here and here . I'm hoping to test it on the trails tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. There's still some bugs to work out but overall I'm very, very happy with this upgrade! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sweet!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I like the bowtie on the diff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey, saw you working on the rearend...ummmm....somewhere....yeah that's it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Glad you got it finished!!!

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Can actually use OD now, right? With the 31's and 3.42 gears I had a tough time using OD...can't imagine how it was for you! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Looks Great
    How much if any height
    did you gain by the axles ?
    Thanks

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Nice! (remember how i felt when i did that on my Sub!!)...
    Looking at the other shots there, it appears you've stolen my dog! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif or maybe just his brother?
    Dog /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looking at the other shots there, it appears you've stolen my dog! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif or maybe just his brother?
    Dog /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sister, thank you very much /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Looking at your pics, you may have stolen our cat, too! LOL.
    [​IMG]

I had to laugh at the title of your pic (dumbanddumber). Good one /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I don't think I gained any height. I lost some ground clearance due to the size of the 14 bolt rear. Also I put my 33's on 15x10 rims so I might have it sitting slightly lower than when they were on 15x8's. I'm going to put it to the test on the trail this afternoon!

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Well, before when I put it in OD, going about 70, it was like throwing out a parachute! I simply didn't use the OD anymore. Now at about 60mph it runs around 1800 RPM's in OD. The 33" tire/4.10 gear seems to be the perfect combo for my truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey, saw you working on the rearend...ummmm....somewhere....yeah that's it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Glad you got it finished!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh yea, that /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I'm glad it's done, too! It is not just "bolt in" once you go through brakes & bearings, get rid of the rust & paint it up. Well worth the time & effort though.

11. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Well, all of 'em being in Wisconsin, maybe they ARE related! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, all of 'em being in Wisconsin, maybe they ARE related! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wisconsin, NOT Arkansas /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    NO offense to Arkansas people.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

glad to see that there are some ppl out therw ho know what different gear ratios can do to driveability of a vehicle, im surrounded by ppl in this town who have no clue what 2,73 or 4.10 means and how it affects engine RPM at a given speed in a given range of the tranny,
    you would be surprised what ppl claim or will argue even though they have no clue and are way off..

congrats on 2.73 junk and 4.10 in place of them! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif that ratio change would definitely make a huge difference in how a truck performs, on or off road both