Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton axle upgrade

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    A guy I work with wants to get rid of (free) a late 70's 3/4 ton GM pu. Its snowed in pretty good right now so I cant really go check it out. I figure it probably has a 10 bolt in the front and a SF 14 in the back....Anyone know for sure? how about probable gears (its a auto) So for swappin parts out how much of a direct swap am I talkin for axles? (keeping the 1/2 ton spring packs) I know the pumpkin nose of a 14 bolt is alot closer than a 10 bolt, so I can expect shaft differences.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If its an 77 or newer, chances are it will have the D44, if its a GMC, and 10B if its a Chevy, and the rear end will NOT be a SF. It would be the infamous 14FF. For that year, it should have 4.10 gears. For a blazer, these axles are direct swap ins. No relocating brackets, etc. You can retain the springs too, from the blazer. Or if yours are broke and need some replacements, the rears on the 3/4 tons will work as long as they are 52" from eye to eye. The driveshaft differences are the u-joints when swapping from 1/2 to 3/4 ton. The 14FF has the 1350 series yoke, and the 1/2 tons run 1310's. You can get a "hybrid" u-joint, which is 1350 on half and 1310 on the other half.

3. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

I'd say late 70's probably 14ff and d44. Same swap i'm doing.

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>