Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton axles worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pvt. Maggot, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

Alright guys, found a set of 3/4 ton axles, the guys asking 200 for both, Dana 44 front, 14bolt ff rear...supposively 4.56 gears. The dana doesn't look to be in good shape, the 14bolt does, I have a dana 44 in my garage thats in great shape, that I could swap the 8 lug parts and gears to, I plan on running 38x15.50's would this be a good deal? I wasn't sure if 4.56's would be enough gear for the 38's I was gonna go 5.13 but if I don't need to, then that would be a plus. I offered him 150, I believe that would be a steal for just the 14bolt. So what do you guys think..heres some pics.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

I dont think it's worth it... but you should give me this guys info so i can pick them up and sell them for scrap.

JK. That sounds like a really good deal especially if it already has 4.56's. You should check that though. Unless he regeared i dont think those are too common from the factory.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

4.56s aren't too common in 14 bolts, and IMO not that desireable(thick gearsets are easier to come by). But for $200, I'd buy them just to throw behind my garage for.... I have no idea what reason. Yea, I think its a good deal.

4. Pvt. Maggot

Even if they don't have 4.56 gears, I'd have a 14bolt to build, plus all the parts to swap on my good 44. throw some 5.13's and be set.

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

jump on it. 4.56's are more common then some people think. even if it's 4.10's it probably better then what you have now. I can't tell from the pic but the 44 could have a passenger flat top knuckle. if it does, don't even barter with the guy. give him the $200 and know you made a huge score.

I parted out a 8 lug 44 with flat tops and 4.56 gears. $460 later I had a bare housing that I got 6 cents per pound at the scrap yard.

6. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

snag em up man...great deal IMO. the stuff to convert to 8 lug will almost run you that much.

7. Pvt. Maggot

He said the dana has larger knuckles. So its possible that it does have flattops, and I believe he said the previous owner put the 4.56's in, but i'm not positive. I offered him 150, we'll see what he says. I need to scrounge up some cash real quick if so hah

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

It might be the angle of the pic but that 14 might be out of a van. It looks like the perches are like 2.5" or so from the backing plate. Might wanna measure that if that would cause you problems. Def pull the covers and look inside- verify gear ratio.

9. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

a van 14 bolt is wider then a truck one. it would match up with the front better.

get them, it'll be worth it.

10. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

some of the 3/4 tons had 4.56 stock gears. yes 4.56 will turn 38's my buddy is running 38's on 4.10's and i will be too.

if it is a van 14 bolt you can run stock H1 wheels on them and if you come across a dually 60 front, it will match up for the H1 rims. so ive been told.

11. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

You are correct. This is the set up I'm running now. Still would like some 2-3" spacers back there though.