Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 Ton Burb?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by firefighter184, Nov 3, 2006.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

It's a 94, 454 motor. I know it's not a diesel, but I should be getting a screamin deal on it. Can I tow the Blazer decently with this? Not looking to win any races, and not concerned about mileage, just wanna make sure I won't fry a tranny or anything...

2. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Cool! And congrats on getting the truck. :waytogo: I love a 3/4 ton burb (I currently have 2).

I think you'll be fine. You won't win any races towing the Blazer, especially if you're towing in the mountains. If you're going to put it on a trailer you've got a pretty good load but it'll do it. You'll get the 4L80E tranny so it should be fine.

Any idea of what gears it has? Obviously you're better off with the 4.10s. Check the RPO codes in the glove box and hope for a GT5 (4.10s). The 3.73s are GT4.

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Congrats! You should have no prob. towing with it. Like said before, not a race truck, but pulls along steady and safe. Hope for the 4.10's. They help out!

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My dad has one just like that. it tows like a champ. You should have no problem as long as you don't get in a hurry.

5. firefighter184

As long as I'm not in the slow lane with the blinkers on and pulling in 4high at 20 mph I'll be happy. Gonna pick it up from the girl Sunday and have a fellow CK5er put it on the lift at the Chevy dealership and check it out, but I should be getting it next week...:D

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dad uses his to pull boats. He has no problem running 80mph with a 23 foot bay boat.

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

On flat ground, and lower elevations, that thing will tow anything you want to hook behind it. The steeper and higher you get, the more you'll wish you had a diesel. You'll be amazed how much headers and exhaust (and cat removal if possible) will improve power. If you're willing to drop a little money into it, I'd do the Edlebrock cam and TBI intake too. As stated before, the 4.10's will help if so equipped. If it's a 3.73 rig, I'd suggest keeping the tire size at 265 or smaller if towing power is your goal. When you start towing the Blazer, I'd add an auxilary trans cooler and temp gauge for insurance.

8. firefighter184

Made the offer last night, got her to $4200. She'll let me know Sunday after she goes to a stealership and tries to trade it in... She's pretty happy with $4200, but we'll see what the stealership says...

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Unless they're really screwing with the numbers, I don't think any dealer, especially a GM/Chevy one, will give anywhere near $4200 for that rig.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A 3/4 ton burb with a a BBC will tow pretty well. Just make sure your trailer has good brakes to help slow the whole load down. As with most any auto tranny you might want to add a big cooler to help keep it happy on the long hard climbs towing & don't let the tranny hunt between D & OD.

Harley