Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton Burban - torn front shock mount (again)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 2, 2004.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I give up. Does anyone out there know where I can purchase pre-fabbed shock mounts for the front axle in my 3/4ton burb? Its running dual shocks now, and its torn the freakin mount from the axle for a second time now. I need something beefy.

Can anyone help?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I give up. Does anyone out there know where I can purchase pre-fabbed shock mounts for the front axle in my 3/4ton burb? Its running dual shocks now, and its torn the freakin mount from the axle for a second time now. I need something beefy.

Can anyone help?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am making mine, they should go around the tube, have bolts holding them and tack welds around the tube.
    Nothing will tear this one off.
    If you are interested I could build you some.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Have you cycled the suspension to check for interference? A shock that is too long will force the mounts away from each other as it bottoms out in its travel. A shock that is too short will force the mounts toward each other as it tops out. Since shock mounts are not designed to support the weight of the truck or the axle, something will break when this is happening. There are a LOT of GM trucks running around with factory dual shock mounts that don't break, so it sounds like it's time to figure out the root cause of the breakage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Something has to be wrong like HarryH3 said...Very few people have probs with them breaking. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Can anyone help?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am making mine, they should go around the tube, have bolts holding them and tack welds around the tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you have torn them off before? You still run dual shocks? Did you check interference? What shocks do you run? How much for a set of mounts? I need new ones now anyways...

-Dan

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Can anyone help?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you have torn them off before? You still run dual shocks? Did you check interference? What shocks do you run? How much for a set of mounts? I need new ones now anyways...

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't torn mine, but I have seen them torn.
    And I agree with all the others you should check for interferences first, if you have a strong mount and the shock is too long you will damage the shock.
    The reason I am making it stronger is the rocks I slide my axle on.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I will make one for me first and then if I like ti I will put a price on it.

7. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

lets see some pics of those shock mounts ur makin?

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    lets see some pics of those shock mounts ur makin?

[/ QUOTE ]

I promise as soon as I have time off to do something on my K5 I will do this first and show you guys.
    If there is enough interest then I will start making them and maybe set it up with Steve.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. KRAZIE87K5

Harry-

Just hacked off the rest of the lower hanger on the axle tube, and welded in something new and hung single shocks under there. Let me tell you, the truck rides MUCH better. I really wonder if those shocks weren't shot or something (ProComps).

Thanks for all the help fellas!

-Dan