Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton CC Dually? does that exist?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Okay I am thinking about buying an old 1979 dually crew cab for real cheap. I didnt have time today to really look it over...
    Heres my question.

I assumed it was a 1 ton but the badges on the fenders say its a c20 and I also noticed that it didn't have hydroboost, which I assumed it would if it was really a one ton.

So did GM ever make a 3/4 ton crew cab dually or did someone just put fenders off a 3/4 ton truck on this thing?

Also the back of the cab has emblems that say 3+3 camper special.
    Whats that stand for exactly? Extra overload springs?

Im thinking theres no way but Iv also seen some weird things so who knows.

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've seen many 3/4 ton crewcabs around here. The I am not certain, but I think the 3 + 3 stands for three places to sit up front, 3 in the back of the cab.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Crewcabs came in 3/4-ton, yes. BUT ... it's almost a 1-ton. It has the thicker frame with the narrower spring spacing, and the same spindles/hubs/brakes up front that the 1-tons did.

The only difference is that a 3/4-ton crewcab will have the same springs that a (low GVWR) 1-ton single-cab had in the back.

Solution: Get the biggest, baddest 1-ton (high-GVWR) springs you can find, and put them onto your crewcab. Voila, instant 1-ton. Assuming it's 2WD of course.

"3+3" just means it's a Crew Cab. Bonus Cabs had no rear seat (more cargo space.)

Camper Special is a package of wiring, tow hitch, maybe ... look on my Brochures page for 1979.

So yeah, that sounds about right. I have a C/20 crew cab which I put the big springs on, so it's now a C/30 in my book. It's SRW but is otherwise pretty similar.

Oh, and since someone will ask, you could get 3/4's or 1-ton's in either SRW or DRW. Just 'cuz it's 1-ton doesn't make it a DRW or whatever.

-- A

4. Musclerodz

Musclerodz 1/2 ton status

More than likely it is a 3/4T crew that someone has added the dually setup to.

Mike

5. dremu

Mmm. Possible, but it'd mean changing the front hubs or doing spacers up front. Again, 3/4's did come in duallies, so it's possible to be factory.

Anyway, if the RPO tag is still in the glove box you can find out for sure if it's original.

-- A

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

That is something I have never run across. Have seen and owned a C20 crewcab, even recall a K20 crewcab but never a dually 3/4 ton. Have seen many 3/4 ton dually conversions however.

7. dremu

Ack! The king of the Brochures might just be wrong!

:rolleyes: :mad: :doah:

Here I've been spouting about 3/4 duallies, and yet a brief search of the Brochures keeps turning up "Big Dooley offers dual rear wheels FOR 30 SERIES" ... so I think, for possibly the first time in recorded history :haha: I'm wrong. To wit: At least in the 70's, it would appear that duallies are invariably one-ton. :shame: :ignore:

Robert79K5, if you do go look at it, check the VIN.

Should be something like CCZ294... if it's a 3/4, or CCZ394 if it's a 1-ton. Or try the VIN decoder which is less likely to be wrong than its author. Really :D

And if you do check it out, post up for my sanity, would ya?

-- A

8. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Dremu, don't throw in the towel so quick :D

I have the original invoice from my truck in front of me, (this is the "new" style 89 though) so I don't know how it would apply to the earlier styled trucks. It reads as follows...

Item no 1. 2310-122-001 Truck, HD 3/4 ton, extended cab (4x2) 1989 chevrolet (CC20953) $11,418.00
    Item no 5. 2310-122-039 HD tow package (Z82) $370.00
    Item no 6. 2310-122-040 10,000 # GVW PACKAGE (CC30953) $1,428.00

This truck was sold as a cab and chasis dually, but with the full width D70HD and it was badged as a c3500.

9. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Here is what your vin checker came up with, so maybe the invoice was wrong?

Model year: 1989
    Made by: General Motors - incomplete vehicle
    Drive: 2WD
    Engine: 454 V8 HD
    Series: 1 ton (30/35)
    Body: Stake/platform
    Plant: Oshawa
    Serial #:

10. dremu

Funny... the truck says CC2 (3/4), but the GVW package says CC3 (1-ton).

I wonder if the General played with these for emissions reasons, or just to make my life hell :haha:

-- A

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I agree with the frame and spring spacing... but not the spindles/brakes. I've done the brakes on my Dad's C20 crew enough times ;) (also camper special BTW)

As for the original question.... There's a good chance it was converted to dually later. All it really takes is a rear end swap and some fender flares. It may even have spacers up front instead of the correct dually setup.

12. dremu

Really? Weird. My '74, though a C-20, takes the 1-ton stuff, and I spent hours poring over the Chevy parts book to the same conclusion. What year is your dad's?

Yes, that -- you said it better than I did =))

-- A

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i had a factory 73 C20 dually, with a non-factory 455 Olds in it. fun truck. :D

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My Dad's is a '79... vacuum booster and 8200# GVWR. It uses the typical sliding pin calipers just like my C20 Burb did.

So yours uses the Bendix style with the wedge/spring & setscrew?

15. dremu

Err. Now you got me -- nope, they're sliding pin type. So the 1-ton 2WD's have big funky things, huh?

$*^*($@ I swear I checked the parts books for this...

-- A

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

After digging around.... it looks like 1-ton SRWs could have been had with either type brakes up to and including '76. :crazy:

The 1-ton ones I put on my Burb are the same style used on a Dana 60 front axle. :wink1:

17. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Let's see pics.... Sorry, man, but I'm calling bullshiat on this. I've never known or come across a 3/4 ton dually. Crew cab, yes. SRW, yes.

Unless someone can show me pics (and prove they're unaltered), and show me in writting where GM sold a 3/4 ton dually off the assembly line, I want to see. All my GM knowledge says GM never sold it.

18. Robert79K5

Havn't forgotten about you guys. I just have not been able to get back out there to look at it or talk to the guy who ownes it.

Soon as I get a chance I will go out there and check it out real good and report back here.

Thanks for the replies....

19. Robert79K5

Just went and took another look at it.

Owner says "nahh its a 1 ton someone just put different front fenders on it."

The tag under camper special says 8200 GVWR

I ran the VIN through the decoder and got this...

VIN decoding of CCL249B130078

Model year: 1979
    Made by: Chevrolet
    Drive: 2WD
    Engine: 350 4bbl V8
    Series: 3/4 ton (20/25)
    Body: Pickup
    Plant: Baltimore
    Serial #: 130078

According to the decoder it is a 3/4 ton.

The owner also said he sold one them rear axles (corp 14) out of a wrecked dually he had for $700 by itself.

Im thinking hes either full of the poo, or either someone dosn't know what 14 bolts are worth and he ripped them off.

Either way I believe I will hold out for another one for more money in nicer shape.

Thanks so much for your help guys.

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

IMO, the guys knows the exact deatils on the truck he has and is creating the most innocent/believable story for a would-be buyer.

$700 is not too much for a C&C 14ff. Its all about the audience. You, me, and the other guy with the Jeep won't pay that, but an owner/operator will after he's burnt the spindle off his towtruck or flatdeck. ;)