Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton conversion for 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Dec 8, 2000.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone out there has done a brake/hub swap on a 10 bolt front from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton? I have heard
    that it is fairly common, but figured someone in this group would know. I have been told that all I need to do is change
    the rotor, the hub (to 8 lug) and the backing plate. The calipers are the same? I am running a 14 bolt ff in the rear, do I
    need to change the proportioning valve? The master cylinder will be upgraded to the 3/4 ton version.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I did the opposite swap, but yes that is all you need to do although I am not sure about the caliper being the same, you would have to check on that.

As far as the prop valve, maybe someone else could shed light on this because I am not sure.

Hope this helps a little.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

You will not need to upgrade to a 3/4 ton MC, nor will you need to mess with the proportioning valve. I went from 1/2 ton to 1 ton running gear on my '90 Sub and changed nothing except the axles. That was 200,000 miles ago, no problems ever. And yes, the 1/2 to 3/4 ton front end parts swap is very easy once you have all the 3/4 ton parts you need.

ken

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Ken! I was hoping that I didn't have to change the master cylinder, since the calipers were staying the same... So, you went from two ten bolts to 1 ton with disc brakes in the front? That is a relief! I already have the backing plates, but am not sure I will use them, they just seem to trap mud and other junk in there...I just need the rotors and hubs...

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ken, do you know offhand if the 3/4 ton front calipers are any bigger than the 1/2 ton ones?

Rene

[​IMG]

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Nope, they're the same calipers. I did notice, however, that disc brake pads come in a couple of different sizes. I found this out when I got some pads for my sisters 1989 3/4 ton 4x4 Sub, the pads were a bit longer, but would fit into any 1/2 or 3/4 ton caliper. Oh, BTW, one ton calipers are HUGE compared to 1/2 or 3/4 tonners.

ken

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks for the info Ken. Maybe I'll try some 3/4 ton pads. I want a little more braking effort in the front.

Rene

[​IMG]

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Sounds good Ken! Ok, so just to make sure I am on the right page when I go to get the parts this weekend: I need-
    - a pair of 3/4 ton rotors (out of a Suburban would be easiest, right?)
    - a pair of hubs for the 8 lugs

I DON"T need - new proportioning valve, master cylinder or calipers.

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Don't limit yourself to a Suburban, there are alot less of those in wrecking yards than there are trucks. Get any 3/4 ton 8 lug hub/rotor assembly. It wouldn't hurt to get the spindles also, just in case!

ken

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Thanks Ken for all the help, I appreciate it! I am new to this site, so glad that I finally found a place for Chevy Blazer fans can go! Just wish that I could find a club in Southern Cal that was for full sizes...Well, I plan on getting the swap completed within the next week, and the ARB will be in hopefully by next week also. Sure you will see me on this page often, and thanks again for the help!

Keith

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Where in So Cal are you?

ken

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I am in Lake Forest, in Orange County. I work at AutoAccessory.com in Irvine. Are you in So Cal?

13. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yes, in Anaheim Hills. Work in Huntington Beach.

ken

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Wow, small world!! Do you go out with any of the Clubs around here? I have been going with the Inland Empire Four Wheelers a few times, very nice people...and also my brother and I own a '68 J**p CJ5 as a toy...but all the others I have tried (Fun in the Sun, one in San Juan Cap, 4Play, etc) have always spurned me because of the "fullsize" issue...but IE4W has always been cool to me, they don't care what you drive as long as it fits and doesn't hold everyone up all day...

What reputable shops do you know of around here, or do you do all of your own work? I use All Four Wheel Drive in Corona a lot, John is a great guy and always honest. I am in the final stages of building my axles - I have the 14 bolt ff set up with a Detroit locker, new brakes, just need the driveshaft refitted and the spring pads welded on to degree the pinion right...and the front has an ARB and needs the new rotors and 8 lug hubs, then it will finally all be set!