Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton conversion on 99 Tahoe how hard can it be?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by rocko, Mar 25, 2004.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Want to consider doing this to the wife's 99 Tahoe.. Has anyone considered this? or researched this?
    We want to keep this thing IFS... it just rides too damn nice.
    I'm thinking almost everything in the front end should bolt right in. except maybe the half shafts.
    And going to the later model SF 14 bolt rear.
    If anyone has seen any articles here.. post them.. thanks..

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am considering a 98' or 99' 2 door tahoe myself and have asked this question before. From what I have gathered the front IFS and 9.25" pumpkin won't bolt up to the frame on the 1/2 ton. I think what I am going to do when I buy one is look for a late model 14BFF with the correct spring perches and put the aftermarket 6 lug hubs and disk brakes on it and leave the 1/2 ton front IFS the way it is. I wouldn't be too afraid of the front setup because it is equal in strength to a D44 or 10B solid axle basically and I haven't had any probs with breakage on my front 10B under my K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply... I'm wanting a little more strength underneath the wife's tahoe... short from going to solid axle... the prefered method.. but you just can't beat the way the IFS rides.
    lets hear some more thoughts on this one..

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Any other thoughts on this? My friend is asking me to do research on this while he's in Iraq. Need to find some info..