Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton conversion questions *LOOK HERE REAL QUICK WES!*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Jun 30, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have some concerns about my 3/4 ton parts that I'm swapping onto my 10 bolt. First off, the length of the hub that protrudes from the center of the wheel is shorter than that on my 10 bolt. In fact, it's about an inch shorter. My 3/4 ton parts came from a D44 in an older K20. The door claims it's an 82 model and the grille and fender design backs it up, but I was under the impression that D44's were discontinued in '79.

I was planning on swapping from the knuckles out, but that concerns me. Will it end up being the same WMS to WMS measurement that my 1/2 10 bolt was, or am I missing something.

Also, since that looks shorter, I'm worried that my 10 bolt shafts won't work in this conversion. Tell me I'm crazy.

That reminds me. I need to go back and get the tie rod from that axle, as the rod end positions are beveled, whereas my 10 bolt ones are flat.

Please tell me I need to quit hitting the pipe and to just finish the conversion already... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif If not, I have over $200 in bearings and Warn hubs that are going to waste.

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Re: 3/4 ton conversion questions

I've got an 8 lug 44 with external lockouts and the hub is shorter than the internal type.The axles are the same on both.Poss this is what you have? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

Nah, this setup has the internal locking hubs. I'm sure of it because it had those cheesy automatic locking hubs on it. I don't know what to think. I have a picture somewhere around here. I'll see if I can't find it and post a link up to it.

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

Here's a picture of what I have. 8 lug

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Was just a thought.I've run into some with diff.spindle and bearing sizes,but,not length.{Other than int/ext hubs}.wish I could be more help. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Ash,

Did you buy that flat top knuckle or was it on there?? If it was on there it sounds like you have a 1st Gen. design.

Hopefully Wes will read this and get ya straigtened out. I did swap spindles, knuckles and tierod from my 1989
    1/2 ton 10 bolt to my 1973 3/4 ext. hub Dana 44.
    Rob

7. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

just did a 3/4 ton swap on my 88 blazer. i used hubs from a 79 3/4 ton Dana 44 it was a fulltime 4x4 truck i just swapped the backing plates hubs and rotors on my 10 bolt and used my 10 bolt lockouts on it worked out great as long as u have internal lock outs it should work as u would have a small hub 44 the older ones that were full time had a flange on them and a c clip and a little cover on them that was a heavy duty axle and also called a big hub 44

Kevin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

whats WMS? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Wheel Mounting Surface /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I thought the 1st generation dana 44 8 lugs had small bearings and external hubs, since his is internal hubs I would think it is mid to late 70's /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

My 77 had a 6 lug dana 44 with flat top knuckles, and small bearings, and I swapped on 8 lug rotors/hubs that were small bearing external hubs...I dunno too many variations me thinks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: 3/4 ton conversion questions *picture up*

HeyAsh Would u just bolt this sucker up and go wheeeling for gods sake :-)
    every thing is fine ya dont need 2 switch out Knuckels either its all the same 6 stud pattern
    look at my old 4 sale posts u see backing plates out
    Iv done and sold more of these then i care 2 admit :-)
    ill shoot ya a pm alos so i know ya get this
    Randy

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Read my info below: /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 73-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 73-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub & rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub & rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

ALL calipers on both D44 and 10B are compatible with either axle. Even the first and second design axles are compatible with BOTH 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers. So, whatever swap you plan on doing, you can retain your stock calipers.
    When stepping up to the big D60, this is a whole different ball game. Nothing is interchangable from the D44 and 10B to the D60.

[/ QUOTE ]

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

So Wes, do the parts in the picture look like they came from a '79 D44. The axle I got them from was complete, and I watched the guy take it apart, we just didn't know a year on it. I just figured the auto-lock hubs would mean it was a later year model, so I was guessing from 77-82-ish. Let me know! Thanks bud.

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you were referring to this picture, then those parts are from any '81 to '91 K/V20. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif