Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton corporate 10bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I was talking to a guy and he said that that chevy used a front 10 bolt corp in a 3/4 ton, is this true? He also showed me this link on dynatrac where they also listed it. All I've ever read on here said that the dana 44 was the only 3/4 ton front diff.
    http://www.dynatrac.com/gm_front.html

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep. 3/4 tons after 1979 or so got an 8-lug 10 bolt front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

well this is good to know.
    So the second gen dana 44 only ran from 77-79 then a 10 bolt came out. That is good to know when I'm searching for my front diff.
    If I come across one my 1/2 ton 75 locking hubs will work on it right?

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I come across one my 1/2 ton 75 locking hubs will work on it right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG] There ya go. 1979 3/4ton front 10 bolt out of a suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine has one too but without the chrome cover.

Wow, rjfguitar, I never knew your truck had a front driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif just kidding....

7. rjfguitar

That front driveshaft your referring to has been used everyday for the past 2 weeks dragging around my service trailer through the mud in my rice field thank you very much./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, you making fun of my way cool chrome cover? asshat! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Don't let Tim rattle your cage. It's obvious you like your truck to look good, and I respect that because I'm the same way. Just because our vehicles aren't big POS's, Tim, doesn't mean they don't get wheeled. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

(Dang, I told myself I wouldn't get involved in these silly feuds, but I couldn't let this go unsaid). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

NICE TRUCK rjfguitar! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't let Tim rattle your cage. It's obvious you like your truck to look good, and I respect that because I'm the same way. Just because our vehicles aren't big POS's, Tim, doesn't mean they don't get wheeled. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

(Dang, I told myself I wouldn't get involved in these silly feuds, but I couldn't let this go unsaid). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

NICE TRUCK rjfguitar! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks Heavy. I hate that crap, just because our trucks don't LOOK like they've been beaten and wheeled hard doesn't mean that they must never see offroad use because they don't look like crap. I think tim was just kind of playing around about the shaft but I'm sure he doesn't like the chrome cover because it looks nice and isn't covered in a nice coating of oil soaked caked on dirt. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When did I ever say I didn't like his truck? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've told him before that I do really admire his truck. I was only giving him [darn] because he's always complaining that everyone calls him a poser. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's all good. Only reason I give him crap is I wish I had a nice looking K5. That may be a near-future project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And actually at one time I bought a chrome cover for my 10 bolt front too. I found it on sale cheap and figured what the hell. I gave it to 87SM465NP208 though cause I figured he'd appreciate it more than I would.

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    When did I ever say I didn't like his truck? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've told him before that I do really admire his truck. I was only giving him [darn] because he's always complaining that everyone calls him a poser. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's all good. Only reason I give him crap is I wish I had a nice looking K5. That may be a near-future project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] It's cool, just giving a little crap back. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hope that nice K5 is in your future.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I actually found a sweet bodied mechanical disaster that ran on 4 cylinders (305) and the rear driveshaft was so shot I can't believe I didn't drop it on the ground and it had a 700/208 combo so it was pretty worthless...but the body was solid, floor not a spec of rust and only surface rust on the body, no holes at all anywhere in the whole truck. The bum wanted $2k for it though so I told him to shove it.

13. rjfguitar

I bought my K5 totally stock as a rock with around 80,000 on the 350 and 700R4. Paint and interior in ok shape. No rust here in Cali. Has a 241 which is weird, forest service must have put it in when it was still owned by the gov. anyway got mine for $2,100

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I found a truck like yours sans upgrades, I would pay $2k for it in a heartbeat.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dana 44 before 77
    10 bolt 8.5" in some 77-79 and all 80-up
    dana 44 also in some 77-79 but not after 79

this goes for 1/2 and 3/4 tons, K5's, burbs, conv cabs, ext cabs, crewcabs,

personally ive never seen a 10 bolt 8.5" under a 77-79, all been dana 44 that ive ever seen around here, but not very many 4x4 exist as it is,

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    dana 44 also in some 77-79 but not after 79

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the D44 was still in use after '79. GMC's ran them up to '82 as GM was doing the phasing out stage of "leftover parts" and the GMC line got the D44's up to '82.

Chevy's, however, were all 10 bolt fronts in '80 on up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im drolling over that front end, Looks real good Im gonna build one this year but its gonna be trussed... do you have a shot of the rear?

18. rjfguitar

[​IMG] There ya go, thats my rear. It's a 14BFF and not a 10 bolt, thank god. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Oh and my 3/4 ton 8 lug 10 bolt front came out of a 79 burb