Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton coversion question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, Apr 6, 2004.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am looking at getting my parts at my local parts house and I want to know what year dana 44 stuff to ask for? It will have to be a dana 44 year model with internal locking hubs....All help would be appreciated....Jason

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

8-lug Dana 44's with internal hubs were found under 77-79 K20's for sure, some later years too. Look for the BOM number on the axle tube, that will give you a mfg date. I was not able to find the BOM on my D44....but I removed it from a '77 K20 so I had a pretty good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I assume you are asking about 8-lug parts to convert the 10-bolt front axle?

If so, most Chevy 3/4 ton trucks from about '79 on had an 8-lug front 10-bolt. When I did this conversion I just asked for an '85 3/4 ton. There is really no reason you need to find a vehicle with a Dana 44 front axle, and in fact it would probably cause more confusion since a lot of the 8-lug Dana 44's had external hubs and different wheel bearings.

4. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys I appreciate it ....Laters Jason

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Any '77-87 3/4 ton (and up to '91 burb) will have the same parts from the spindles out (spindles, wheel brgs, brg hubs, internal lockouts, rotor, etc). Doesnt matter if it is a D44 or 10 bolt.

The '76 and earlier Dana 44's had the external lockouts with smaller wheel brgs.