Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton D44, 14ff install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Feb 12, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Getting d44 3/4t and a 14ff w/ disks for my 87 /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif and have a few Q's for you guys. First, the D44 has a single shock mount on it and my rig is setup for dual should I just live with the single and not worry about it or should I hunt down a dual bracket and weld it up? Second for the 14ff disc breaks...can I just hook up my break line and rock on or do I need to upgrade the master cylinder?...regulator?...whatever? Just trying to figure out how to set it up right. Do any of you guys use spacers on your 14ff to even out the width with the front? Where/what to get if you do? Will my stearing arm from my stock 10b fit the d44? Last question...where is a good place to get a set of u-bolts and top plates for the rear?
    Thanks for any help, if you think of anything else I should look for to do this swap please let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You just need a longer bolt through the shock mount at the axle to accomidate 2 shocks, that is how your current setup is( I would imagine).
    You will need different brake lines for that front 10B but don't throw the old ones away because a 10b and D60 share the same size brake line fittings. Your rear brakes should bolt up just fine and no... you don't need to do any mods to your brake system besides the front lines.

You will need a conversion u-joint at the yoke on the 14BFF, the best one available is a neapco joint, part # 2-1153.

Hope I helped a little. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Cool, longer bolt is what I was thinking and there isnt much load in shocks anyhow.
    I thought my stock lines would hook up to d44 in the front..how are they different? I was gonna go with a set of braided lines throughout so do I need 3/4 ton line set instead of 1/2 ton line set?
    Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You just need a longer bolt through the shock mount at the axle to accomidate 2 shocks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there is a spacer between the two shock eyelets to keep the shock tubes from rubbing togethet, it's anout 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. along with the longer bolt too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool, longer bolt is what I was thinking and there isnt much load in shocks anyhow.
    I thought my stock lines would hook up to d44 in the front..how are they different? I was gonna go with a set of braided lines throughout so do I need 3/4 ton line set instead of 1/2 ton line set?
    Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If your current setup is with dual shocks, then just reuse the hardware that is on the bottom of the shocks, it's just a longer bolt with the spacer i mentioned before.

6. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Cool deal guys, I noticed the spacer but didnt remember the whole setup since I dont have my truck around.
    How about the rear spacers? Stearing arm? Front break lines?

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

d44 break lines are different but I "beleave" 10 bolt lines will work on a 10 bolt, but not the other way around. Not shure though. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

steering arm, just a raised procomp arm from 4wp is about 60 bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

-shawn

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Second for the 14ff disc breaks...can I just hook up my break line and rock on or do I need to upgrade the master cylinder?...regulator?...whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

I reused the stainless extended brake line that I used with the 12b when I put the 14BFF in. I had to run new hardlines on the axle to the flexible lines at the caliper.

I did not need to upgrade the MC or prop-valve. I just gravity bled the brakes and they work quite well.

[ QUOTE ]
    Do any of you guys use spacers on your 14ff to even out the width with the front? Where/what to get if you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not using spacers. There are a couple of places from which to purchase them. TonyP here on CK5 makes them.

[ QUOTE ]
    Will my stearing arm from my stock 10b fit the d44?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Last question...where is a good place to get a set of u-bolts and top plates for the rear?

[/ QUOTE ]

For spring plates, I would suggest a junkyard. Your local spring shop can make u-bolts to the diameter and length you require.

Good luck in your swap. I know I was grinning ear to ear once those nice rebuilt axles were under my truck! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Awesome, almost set now, need to grab a set of spring plates, u-bolts, braided brake lines (still not sure on the front though????), spacers maybe someday, tire/rims, got the u-joint, and need lots of beer and I think I am set. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. rjfguitar

For the front brake lines...tell them you have a Dana 44, not a 10B and they should get you the right lines. There is no difference between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton caliper on a D44. The difference between a d44 and 10B caliper is the brake line fitting that bolts to the caliper .

11. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Cool, sounds good to me. Thanks for the info...cant wait till these bad boys are on!!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You could probably also just use the calipers from the 10 bolt on the D44. Some interchaneg and some don't, but you could always try. That would eliminate one messy part of the project and save you some money.

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I can hook you up with the top clamp plates and spacers...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can hook you up with the top clamp plates and spacers...

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooh pretty [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You could probably also just use the calipers from the 10 bolt on the D44. Some interchaneg and some don't, but you could always try. That would eliminate one messy part of the project and save you some money.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i did. i re-used my complete 10 bolt outers and they bolted right on to my 44. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Nice brackets TonyP, we have talked briefly on email about your 8-6 lug conversion...not doing that anymore /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif so what do you charge for those badass 8-lug spacers?? How thick are they? I already found me a set of sprign perches, but no where near as cool as those /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i have a set of 1"inch thick ready to go, PM me...

18. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I cant PM since I am not an "offical" member. What is your email?

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I cant PM since I am not an "offical" member. What is your email?

[/ QUOTE ]Hmmmmmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif hint! hint! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, check out that color now /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif