Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton d44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Aug 8, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i cant find a d60 anywhere out here and cant afford to get one shipped out here. but i did find a 3/4 ton d44...will this hold up to 44" super swampers if i leave it open? or should i keep looking for a d60?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Keep looking for a D60. A D44 even open is going to taking quite a beating from 44" tires. Even if you manage to not break the internal parts every run you are going to be putting a hell of a strain on the other parts like brakes and balljoints.

Harley

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For a street rig, yes. It will be fine. For ANY kind of wheeling, no. As Hossbaby50 said, if, by some amazing grace of a higher power, you don't break the internals, the balljoints will suffer. The wheel bearings would also take a beating as well. The brakes I'm not too worried about as they share the same diameter as a D60. However, the calipers on a D60 are larger and will provide more stopping force.

But, this all depends on what kind of truck you are running, how much it weighs, which 44" tires you plan to run, AND how heavy your right foot is. I have seen them run on a 3/4 ton axle and have seen it take far more abuse than I think it should, but in no way do I condone it on a wheeler.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the 3/4 ton 44 was free and it didn't cost you anything to put it on then go for it otherwise you will dollars ahead to continue to save/look for the 60