Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton Dana 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SF87K5, Feb 12, 2003.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifWhat years did the 3/4 ton come with a dana 44 front axle? I am looking for a 8 lug D44 for my K5. I have a buddy that has a set of the moser axles he does not want anymore. I can get them cheap from him I just need a 3/4 ton dana 44.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifPlease help

Thank you everyone

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

i think 73 -78 but not sure someone will correct me if im wrong

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Buy any Dana 44 for a chevy and swap it over to 8 lug. My 10 bolt started life in an 85 Blazer, add some parts from a 74 3/4 ton 44 and Voila, 8 lug 10 bolt.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

any dana 44 from 71 on to 78 can be changed to 8 lug by changing the spindle,backing plate and hubs off of a 3/4 ton axle.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would have to say get a 77 or 78 3/4 ton D44 or just swap 3/4 ton 10B stuff onto your D44.

The reason I think that is the best solution is that the 77 and up axles use the stronger spindle and bigger inner bearing as well as using the internal locking hubs.

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

isn't there a HD version or is it just the bolt pattern difference? something about a weak ujoint or something.......??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The 77 3/4 ton D44 that I got has a thicker center section where the short side axle tube goes in...I couldn't use the old u-bolt I had for the one that goes around the pig. It was about 3/4" too short!

I think some people think the external locking hubs are "heavy duty"...they arn't...you also have to worry about the stupid bolts that hold them onto the hub comming out (which I have seen way to much of on other guys rigs that say they used locktite and torqued them down real good). The external hubs are also more $$$ when you need to replace them.

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'll agree with part of what you said, they are no more heavy duty. I will have to disagree on a few other things though. My hubs didn't cost any more than the last set of internals I bought. The only hard part about them was not everyone has them sitting on the shelf. One call to ORD and they were at the office. Plus I got a cool set of drive flanges that I tend to use instead of hubs anyway.

As for the bolts backing out, I haven't had one loosen AT ALL. All are loc-tite'd torqued and use lock washers. They are hell with the lid off to get off, but they just don't back out on their own.