Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 Ton Dana44 Questions - Lockout Hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy Truck with Dana44 frontend and 14 bolt Full Floater rearend. My question is, which style of Lockout hub is more desirable, the older style (Spicer style) which bolts to the rotor hub assembly or the newer style which bolts to a gear inside which is held in with a Snap Ring. I have the older style which takes a real big hub that is bolted to the rotor hub assembly. This axle has disk brakes up front and open knuckles. I just sold a set of 3/4 ton 8 Lug outers which had the smaller Warn Lockout hubs similar to a 1/2 ton. Which is more desirable? Can anyone give me more information on these early Dana44s?

Thanks,

Neil

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I forget witch month it was but Petersen did an artical in 4Wheel&Offroad that said the onepice style is considered stonger. Thats the smaller looking one with little allen heads. I think it may be because the locking hub unit slides into the hub itself and the bolt on part is just the slider that ingages the licking hub. The bigger 3/4 ton style the locking hub unit is accually outside the hub.
    Dunoi really if one is stronger than the other just what I have read. I am running the onepiece version or 1/2 ton style and it is the stock style for 72 so you couldn't say it's the newer style. I think I read your post right....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. ut77gmc

ut77gmc Registered Member

Here's what I know from my friends at Six States in SLC.

I have the older Spicer style hubs and was going to convert to the 1 ton premium Warn. They told me it really wasn't worth doing UNTIL I broke the Spicer (apparently unlikely).

They did say if I broke the Spicer I would be paying enought for Spicer parts that I should just upgrade to the Warn Premiums but I haven't broken anything on the front yet.

Course my truck only plays in the mud!

'77 GMC K15 LWB.....likes to get muddy

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I like the newer, smaller style that is held in with a snap ring just because they are easy to get and common..

The larger style is somewhat hard to find, but I think Warn makes some.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Warn makes hubs for these still. Think about it...the older style is SOLID STEEL, whereas the newer internal style hub is aluminum bodied...DUH!!! Which is stronger, aluminum or steel??? DUH!!! I have seen numerous internal style hubs blown to pieces, but never once have seen an older style grenaded. Also, don't believe everything you read in magazines...most times they are WRONG!!! The personnel turnover in magazines is high, and lots of times you have a new 4x4 writer who used to write about Corvettes or something other totally unrelated to 4x4s!!!

ken

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have been runnig the same smaller style hubs for about 6 years now and a friend of mine has broken about a half dozen of the old style hubs in the same time period.

I am not saying the smaller ones are stronger, but I haven't had any problems with mine. Also, you usually have to order the larger ones mail order while most every parts store has the smaller ones.

I just like the smaller ones because they are more readily available.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have no personal experience with the older large style hub, but these are considered an "external" style hub while the newer, smaller ones are considered an "internal" style. Most of what I have seen and heard states that, in general, the exterior style (old style) are weaker due to the overall design. This external style is very common on the older Jeeps (CJ-7, CJ-5, etc..) and it is not unusual to break a locking hub on these.......and is why places like Warn make an upgraded hub conversion kit which converts to the internal locking style (newer, smaller style). At least on Jeeps, all of the power is transferred to the wheels through the 6 bolts that hold the locking hub onto the wheel hub, and in turn these bolts shear, or the whole assembly explodes. On the internal locking style the power is transferred directly to the inner splines on the wheel hub, plus since the entire locking assembly is encased inside the steel hub there is very little flex allowed in the aluminum which helps eliminate failure and therefore makes for a stronger overall design.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have the smaller internal style all steel Spicer lockout hubs in my 3/4 ton Dana 44 front. Is there any opinion on strength of these hubs?

Rene

[​IMG]

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Burt, the internal "newer style" was used clear back to 1960 in 1/2 tons, whereas the external style was used only on 3/4 tons from 1960-1977 (these are for GM applications only). Mid year 1977 saw the switch in 3/4 tons from external to internal locking hubs, which interchange with the 1/2 ton versions.

Now Rene, those solid steel Spicer internal locking hubs are THE BEST you can get!!! I have seen these on eBay before for $15-$30. There was a recent set for a '77 Ford Bronco that went for $15. The Bronco uses the same spline count as GMs, so they're interchangeable. The only difference is that they have red dials instead of yellow like the GMs.

ken