Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4-ton driveshaft into 208 'case?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85b, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Blue85b

Blue85b Registered Member

3/4-ton driveshaft into 208 \'case?

With all the talk of axle swapping, I am still confused by one point: Why can't you use a 3/4-ton driveshaft, presumably from the axle donor truck when putting bigger axles on a 1/2 ton? It avoids the adapter U-joint and probably uses a bigger U-joint at the front of the shaft as well. Didn't the 208 T-case come in 3/4 ton trucks as well, and if so, won't the slip joint slide right in? Now I know that whatever shaft you find, it will probably have to be shortened, but most trucks with a lift could use a driveshaft LENGTHENING, which should be more expensive.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: 3/4-ton driveshaft into 208 \'case?

I sorta did that on mine, but not with an NP208. I yanked out the Turbo350/NP203 and put in a Turbo400/NP205. I got the driveshaft from the same truck that donated the tranny and t-case. I just had it shortened to mate up with the 14-bolt FF.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I just put in a 80 205 with a slip jount and a 14bolt ff. I snagged a drive shaft out of a 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive and had it shortend and a new slip yoke put on. The 3/4 ton slip yoke is the same as the 1/2 ton except for the 1350 u-joint size. The driveshaft cost less than $200.00 (shaft, cut, balanced, new slip yoke, and new spicer u-joints) because I had the shaft shortened instead of the old 1/2 ton one lengthened. I now have matching 3/4 u-joints in the rear so I only have to carry two sizes of spare joints besides the fact it's alot beefier than the stock one.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I think that you'll find most of the large axle crowd has done that. I've done this on NP203/205's for 15 years and I've seen this on the NP208s. It holds up rather well and it is easier to get U-joints when you do break them.

5. jerseyk5

jerseyk5 Registered Member

Am I reading this right? You can use 3/4 ton driveshafts in a 208. What year 3/4 ton truck would I be looking for to get the right slip shaft?