Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton driveshaft question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Jun 21, 2004.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I am buying a 77 3/4 ton truck for the drivetrain to put in my 79 blazer (only 1 more $100 payment and it's mine). The truck has the sm465/205 combo and a 14bff rear with gov loc. He ran it with a lift and it has an extended front driveshaft /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I was hoping to use the 3/4 ton rear driveshaft and just shorten it rather than conversion u joints on the 1/2 ton driveshaft. I looked under the truck and it has a 2 piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing. Is there a way for me to make this shaft work on my 79 K5?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take it to a driveline shop and have them cut it down and retube it. They can reuse the yokes that way.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

The donor truck from my 14FF was a 79 C-30 SRW. I took the two piece driveshaft as well hoping to somehow use it but the factory tube diameter was an unusual (and small) size so after much consideration and shopping I finally went with a new d-shaft from Jesse at HAD. I got the basic non CV, .134 wall, 3" tube, 6" slip, 1350 non greaseable Spicer u joints for $309.00......the greaseable ujoints are less expensive I think.......This upgraded my tube diameter by alot and got me all new parts. Ive been very pleased with the product and service. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Yeah. I noticed the tube on the 3/4 ton shaft was longer than the one on my 1/2 ton. I'm starting to maybe think of making my own square tube driveshaft since it will be a trail only rig.

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah. I noticed the tube on the 3/4 ton shaft was longer than the one on my 1/2 ton. I'm starting to maybe think of making my own square tube driveshaft since it will be a trail only rig.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad idea, strong and inexpensive. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I did this with a two-piece shaft from a Suburban. I just got rid of the carrier bearing and didn't even take the other half of the shaft. If was useful for the 1350 weld yoke, slip yoke and stub shaft, which can be reused with standard 3" tube. This was an 89 or 90. I don't know about he older models.