Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 Ton, Front Axle, Drums?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Looksback, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at a 3/4 ton front axle from a '69 four wheel drive Suburban, It has 13" drum brakes, with 4.56 gears, Also the brake type that the Suburban had was manual. I want to buy it from a person, but thay are asking $500, am I getting ripped off?
    If I do gett this axle can I take a set of rear drums from a '73-'80 and use them on the front axle?

Thanks For The Help
    LooksBack

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think that's WAY too much money for that axle. Find one from a later model that already has disk brakes. 8-lug Dana 44's or 10-bolt front axles can be found for $200 and up. Drum brakes up front SUCK! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Well just to have the axle just a general replacement, the truck has all gott disc's now, but thay are manual brakes. Also I was wondering, can I take a set of rear drums and put them up front? The reason for this is because thay have the cooling fins, and the stock '69 dose not.
    Also so my guess is that around $100 should be right?

Thanks For The Help
    LooksBack

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

100 bucks is even steep i think. That axle has the small u joints too (260-x as opposed to the later 297-X). I had those in my 72 and can make tent pegs of them realllyyy easily. I would agree with the others and say get a 73-up axle

5. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Can the joint be changed to something larger?, I am not really getting a strait what would be a good price?
    I am just going to use this axle for the moment until I can gett the money to replace replace the broken one.
    The type of work that I have been doing I need 4WD and I can not really have no down time. I need the truck running, with 4WD as soon as possiable.

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

How are they measuring 13"? I have K25 from 1970 w/ 12" drums. Measure the inside. Is the axle in working order? I believe you will have problems w/ your stopping if you have a master cylinder and brake proportioning valve for disc. Disc require more fluid than drums. Stock 4 wheel drums do not have a proportioning valve (mine does not). As far as back to front swapping I don't think you'll be able to do that. This is a GM axle? You will also have brake line problems because the front disc you have now use a banjo fitting, wheel cylinders are not. $500 would be way too much.

7. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

hmm, it probly is 12" drums, thats just what I was told, but the axle is under a '69 3/4 Suburban, I do not know much about axles, i was just thinking it would be something to replace the old one until I can come up with some money to buy a good one. The axle, the center ?pumpkin? is perfectly round including the cover if that helps with anything, but after hereing about the brake lines and stuff will probly not gett it now.

Thanks For The Help
    LooksBack

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

dude unless the guy gives it to ya and u desperitally need it dont get get it as its basically a P.O.S.
    and he is smoking crack 2 expect 2 get 500 for it mabe like u said 100 if u were desperate
    do a search in the 4 sale board and there is a guy out t=your way that has a bunch of 4x4 stuff mabe even a front axle
    but most important rember ucan use any axle from 1967 to 1991
    and if your gonna pay 500.00
    i got 1 ill send ya with 8 lug and dsk brakes on it shipping included via forweard air for 475.00 :-) with a 45 day $$ back guarante
    Randy
    Randy

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    but the axle is under a '69 3/4 Suburban

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only is it drum brakes but it is also a closed knuckle. Not something worth looking at even for a temp axle. You will spend more making it work than it would take to buy a disc brake axle.