Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton front axle question?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ROCKKRAWLER82, May 24, 2006.

1. ROCKKRAWLER82

ROCKKRAWLER82 Newbie

I just bought a 3/4 ton 10 bolt for my K5 so it would match the 8 lug rear end i bought. But I was trying to take the hub/rotors off but after taking off the hub lock i couldn"t figure out what to do next. I think i read somewhere that i need to lock the hub first before disassembling it. I looked all over for instructions on how to do it but came up with nothing. please help me so i can finish my damn project!

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hub lock.. hmm u mean that lil c-clip? its a pain to see and get out.. but after that u just remove all the washers and such then u have to unbolt the dust shield.. then u have to hammer off the spindle from the studs there then u can take ur rotor off.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah how much exactly have you pulled off...where are you stuck at?

4. ROCKKRAWLER82

ROCKKRAWLER82 Newbie

cont.

well i am trying to get the rotor off, i pulled the hub locks off. but then i tried to go further, but i cant get rotor off cause i dont know if there is a clip inside i dont see. thanks for the help

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I will guess that you have the locking hub out. which is the outer shell with the handle that you select lock or unlock, probably a spring and a gear and then what I will call the internal hub which is the part that the allen screws attach to.

I would look for a clip on the interior of the hub along the outer ring. Just clean it with a rag and it is made of round wire and there should be a gap in the clip and lightly pry on it with a small screw driver and pull it out.

If you have more questions let me know. I just happen to have my hubs out right now in the garage and the rotors and knuckles off.

You will need a hub socket to get the locking threaded washer things out. they are round with 4 notches in the outer edge. After you take the first one there should be a spacer that will slide out with a little moving around with a small screw driver and then undo the other locking threaded washer. After that the whold rotor will come off the spindle, don't drop the bearing out the front of the hub. then unbolt the dust cover and wiggle the spindle off.

Hope it helps.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah, a 4x4 hub socket will do the job. most parts stores have em for $20 or so and you really need them for assembly/dissassembly of the front end.