Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton front axle swap questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, May 11, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Hopefully will be putting some 3/4 ton axles under a 89 K5 sometime this summer. Dual 10 bolts stock.

Rear will be a 14FF of course, but how about the front?
    Which would be a better choice, the 8 lug 10 bolt or the 8 lug Dana 44? I'm aware they are even in strength, I'm just talking ease of actually bolting in and making work.

I'm thinking the 8 lug 10 bolt would be a direct bolt in, but is it?

I know the brake lines are different from the D44 to the 10 bolt, at least the fittings.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Knuckles,spindles,hubs and rotors,calipers,and backing plates interchange between 10 bolts and Dana 44s.My K5 had a 10 bolt and I swapped in a Dana44.I took everything from the knuckles out off of my 10 bolt and put it on the 44.I also used the calipers off the 10 bolt.When I converted to 8 lug,I used 8 lug hubs and rotors and backing plates off of a 10 bolt. Nice how everything is interchangeable /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. AJMBLAZER

The 10 bolts in this truck have 2.73 Camaro gears./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Both sets of the 3/4 ton axles have 4.10's, so I'm looking for more of a straight bolt in.

Are the brake lines different from 10 bolt to D44? Now I have a buddy telling me he "swears" they are the same./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The brake lines are different...so just keep your calipers. You don't even have to unhook the lines.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

Not sure about the lines being the same but the calipers on your 10 bolt will fit on a Dana 44.

YUK!!2.73s!!Does your truck move?You could probably do like 200mph on a straight stretch of road though /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Knuckles out on the D44 and C10 are the same.

D44 is 10-15% stronger than a C10.

I've got airplane gears (2.73s). My fast idle (when the choke is on) is actually higher (by about 300rpm) than what the motor turns at when going 60mph. It's kind of embarassing when you only moderately press on the accelerator and you go from 4th to 2nd gear and then you only slowly take off. It was really bad when I had a tired 305.

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

A D44 is 10-15% stronger? You smokin something.

8. FRIZZLEFRY

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Knuckles out on the D44 and C10 are the same.

D44 is 10-15% stronger than a C10.

<hr></blockquote>

Uhhhhh........Dana 44=front axle used in 4wd trucks.

C10=2wd Chevy pickup

What er you sayin /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif C10 aint got no front axle.Now my C20 on the other hand...............

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I believe he meant Corporate 10 bolt there. I agree, confusing choice of words, it tooks a few secs to sink in..(what 2wd, what....)

BlazerMan

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

even if that is what he meant a d44 is not stronger than a 10bolt

Later

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have to agree with the other guy. D44 axle tubes are thicker than a 10 bolt, the axles themselves are also larger diameter than 10 bolts, 1.28" for 10 bolts versus 1.31" for D44's, and last the cast center section is also beefier than a 10 bolt. Now how do you say a D44 is not marginally stronger than a 10 bolt?

12. Hey buddy you ever look at the size differecne in axle shafts? It's .01" If I remember right? So to me I dont think (I know) that .01" would equal a 10-15% increase in strength. 80K20

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

The strength is in how easy it snaps in two. How many Dana44s have you seen broken at the case? I've only seen one. To date, I've seen six GM Corporate 10 bolt with 8.5" ring gears broken right at the case.

Supposedly the carrier is stronger on a Dana44 but I don't know if I believe that. I, myself, have never seen axle shafts, hubs, or universals broken. I always see the tubes snap off or teeth spit off the ring gear.

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Wow, someone that actually has looked at a Dana44. Better yet, someone that happens to know the specifications off the top of their head.

It's amazing how a forum's seasoned participants can persecute an outsider if they say something they don't blatantly believe.

Thanks
    -Brian

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

From context, not only my posts, but throughout the whole thread are referring to axles. Since D44 and C10 were in the same sentence it should have been even easier. However, the rest of the time it'd be a poor idea to use "C10" and wouldn't be best to use "D44".

In the future, perhaps I should refer to a D44 as a Dana Corporation Model 44 axles and I'll include whether we're talking about whether it's the first generation (76 and older) and the second generation (77 and newer).

I'll call the C10 a General Motors Corporate 10 bolt with an 8.5" ring gear.

For future reference, it's the 77 and newer version of the Dana44 that is identical from the knuckles out on a GM 10 bolt 8.5".

My 77 C20 "ain't got no" front axle, or at least a powered one. In fact, pretty soon it isn't going to have a rear axle either. It isn't going to have any of that pretty gold trim either.

16. FRIZZLEFRY

Sorry for the sence of humor.I will make sure I leave it at the door next time I come in.

Thank you for clearing that up,I realy had no idea.All dez axles #s and years are realy confuzin.

17. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I agree with Wrath. The center section is visibly beefier, the axleshafts are .02" larger (marginally stronger) and the axle shaft spline count is greater on the D44 (30 vs 28). So anyone who says the 44 isn't any stronger than the 10 bolt is living in a world of dreams.

Nobody said its stronger to the degree that a D60 is to a D44, but it is definitely stronger.

18. AJMBLAZER

Friz and Triaged, thanks guys. Good to know, I was seeing money flying a way there for a second. Money I don't have at all. This either bolts together for cheap or doesn't happen./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Friz, I'm thinking either 4-6" of lift and 36's with 3/4 ton axles, or lowered down, alcohol burning supercharged engine, and attempting to be the first brick shaped vehicle to do 200mph!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Kidding, kidding of course./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

For the record, don't D44 axle shafts have that neck to them that makes them weak? I remember hearing about them on this site and reading about it in Four Wheeler, 4-Wheel &amp; Off-Road, and 4X4 Power. All said something about a spot where the D44 shafts neck down that makes them about the same strength as a 10 bolt.

19. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, you can view the pic of that "taper" on ORD's site on their Chrome Moly axle shafts page.

I have yet to see a 44 axleshaft break at that point tho. I have yet to break a 44 axleshaft myself. Light foot and good control help TONS!!!.

On that note, I can't remember if the 10 bolt axleshaft has that taper or not. Would have to tear one down at the boneyard as I don't own one. Good point tho on that AJMBLAZER.

20. AJMBLAZER

The 10 bolt shafts do not taper down, so that is how their 28 spline shafts are as strong as the stock 30 spline D44 shafts with the "neck down" area.