Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton IFS to 1 ton IFS swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SierraJim, Nov 13, 2006.

1. SierraJim

SierraJim Registered Member

I've got the urge to start playing with my tow vehicle/daily driver. It's a 94 K2500 4x4. ex-cab shortbox.
    5.7L
    nv4500
    np241
    SF 14 rear
    8.25 front
    6 lug

I have heard that the real 3/4 tons ( not my light duty 3/4) had a 9.25 front? Is the 1 ton IFS also just the 9.25 front? or is there an actual 1 ton IFS? It sounds like I would have to swap the rear for the FF so the bolt patterns are the same?Not looking to do a SFA as it doesn't really hit the trails, just hauls my rig and family to the trails. Anyone ever done this?
    Thanks
    JIM

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive heard that with the amound of difference in strength between the two its not worth the trouble

3. 8t7jimmy

8t7jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I looked at the same thing before. Almost all the dimensions are different. It would involve making extreme modifications to the frame. You are much better off swapping frames or converting to a solid axle. It can be done, but the time a cost would be outrageous. 3/4T 8 Lug and 1T 8 Lug are the same front suspension other than the torsions bars, but they are universal from 1/2 to 1t.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the heavy duty 3/4 tons and 1 tons had the same front axle setup. You would be much better off buying a heavier duty truck or doing a straight axle swap. Unless you can to go through the motions of making mounting brackets and custom fabbing a setup just to retain... IFS...

Any if you never do anything other than haul your family and rig around, the only things I'd worry about are the rear and transmission. Afterall 4l60E and 14 bolt semi-floater are not the beefiest items. You will damage one of those long before the front differential I'll garauntee. Maybe a set of 6 lug spacers on a Full floater 14 bolt? And a 4l80e swap?

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a 4L80E and a 14SF would make for a decent occasional puller. my uncle has that setup in his 92 K2500, and hasnt had a bit of problem out of it.

6. SierraJim

SierraJim Registered Member

Thanks for the input Sleddog. I was wondering if the 3/4 ton eight lug was the same front end as the 1 ton. Just didn't realize that the frame was different from my light duty 3/4. Help me out on one other thing? Why the comments about the 4L60E? I like my NV4500. The standard is a lot more fun to drive. I'm pretty sure I don't have a 4L60E?

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The 1/2 ton had 8.25" IFS, the 8-Lug 3/4 and 1 tons had 9.25" IFS. The 9.25" is larger and stronger than the 8.25" and the mounts are different. I've owned both and ran 285's on both and though I could knock the front end out of alignment offroad on the 1500, I never did on the 2500. That being said, the 9.5" SF rear is plenty strong, especially with smaller tires. The NV4500 rigs are hard to find, especially in ECSB. Keep your rig, the front ends are both strong enough for what you're asking them to do.