Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton springs VS 1/2 tons springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rezalb, Mar 29, 2001.

1. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I am in the middle of an axle swap on my 1983 K5 (former 6.2 diesel). The donor vehicle is a 1979 Suburban with rear corp 14 bolt.
    MY QUESTIONs are ... does a 3/4 ton have a different spring pack with different weight stuff? I will be pulling a travel trailer and would like that advantage. .
    In appearance, the two springs appear to be the same, the donor suburban spring seems to have a large second overload or thicker spring on the bottom than the K5 stock springs. The K5 spring pack is 2-1/2" and the Sub is 3" thick (go figure).
    Second question, will the 3/4 springs need a different size lift block? I have a 4" rancho spring lift from the suburban on front?
    I unfortunately cannot afford rear springs at this point and I have several different blocks to choose from....
    Thanks in advance for your help......

rezaB

Built for a purpose.

2. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Call Rough Country.

3. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

The 3/4 springs will work fine, but will be stiffer. Your block will work fine also. You might want to think about buying some used springs out of a newer k5, like 87 or newer. The sub springs might be sagging a little, being they are so old. How big of a lift are you putting on?

GOT ROCKS?

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Like bigdaddy said, the front springs are all the same on 1/2, 3/4, and 1 tons except for the thickness and rate. On the back, the 1/2 tons sometimes have a short spring (52"?) but other than that they are all the same (as other rears, not like the fronts). I'm planning on putting 1/2 ton springs and switching to short rear springs on my K30 soon. Most people want the long springs for better flex and ride but I want the short so I can bob the back. I'll make up the flex in other ways...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

Bigdaddy89 - The front spring lift is 4", so I would ASSume the rear would be a 4" block? Do the 3/4 spring have a different lift than the 1/2?
    Thanks guys for your help -
    rezalB

Built for a purpose.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Some companies make the 3/4 ton lifts stiffer. Most of the time the company will offer a Softride and a HD lift. The softride is normally used to somewhat keep a stock-ish ride and the HD is to beef up the 1/2ton normally used on 3/4tons....
    The HD usually has one more leaf than the softride..

Sometimes they will use a 4" block in the rear and sometimes a 2" or 3" block alone and one more options is to use a 2" block and a 2" add-a-leaf...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

"Pimpin aint easy!"

7. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

The lift is the same, so you can use the blocks. Just the ride will be affected.

GOT ROCKS?