Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton Suburban as a tow rig?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by zcarczar, Aug 3, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im looking at getting a new DD/Tow rig. Ive been hashing the idea around for awhile and a Suburban seems to be the way to go. I need to people hauling space, but at the same time some reasonable towing capacity. I know a few people use them on the board, Im looking at getting the 454 right now, Diesel's are too rare around these parts for a decent price.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Personally, I prefer a crew cab since it is generally more versatile. I just added a cap to mine for enclosed storage on trips.

But, a 3/4 ton should be fine for most towing requirements. Worst case, you may need a set of SRW 1 ton springs (without helper pack) to handle load plus tongue weight without going soft in the rear.

Of course a crew cab also gives you the option of a gooseneck which is better overall for towing and something you may want down the road. I also just added a 30klb goose and 5'er combo to my truck. Top on I have the people room and cargo options of a Sub with as good or better bumper pull capability (C5 hitch). Top off I can keep people room and haul a goose of 5'er as needed. I like options… Only thing you would loose is the third seat, but then you have no room for gear inside. <shrug>

And you could also do like Nick and add a CTD or maybe a 6.5TD (much easier) if you run across a deal. I've always thought it would be neat with a long wheel base rig to install a 6BT or similar. Anything with a standard ANSI bell housing. Then get an Allison 2k series 6 speed auto from a medium duty truck to mount behind it (tunnel mods required, but same dimensions as the Alli 1000 in my 2500HD). Then run a divorced 205 so no adapter issues and head-aches...

3. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We run a 96 with a 6.5TD, and so far it's worked well. Coaxing more power out of the engine is necessary if you're pulling in the hills, but that's only a few electronic gadgets away.

Bottom line: the truck is stable under heavy loads, nasty roads, high winds, hards turns (unloaded), and it is a blast to drive.

A 454 won't get the best economy, but it will pull. I'm sure you'll be happy.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What year are you interested in? Only post '91's have the 454 as a factory option in a 4x4 (Chevy's infinite wisdom to put a 350 in the heaviest vehicle they ever made) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If I get anything it will be a '96 or later since the 454's got new injection, and the diesel's got the cooling system upgrade.

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

My '85 3/4 ton with a 454 tows like a dream. A little work to the rear springs and all is good.
    Oh, and its lifted on 33s.

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I haven't towed with mine yet but I've carried 2k lbs of block and sand on several occasions and its done great.