Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton Suburban

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SoulStyles, Dec 19, 2002.

1. SoulStyles

SoulStyles Registered Member

I was wonderin if you guys can help me out. My Dad retired his old 3/4 ton Suburban, says hes had his fun with it and wants me to use it as a parts truck for the Jimmy im lookin at gettin. Would I be able to use its axles and dffs front and back to replace the corporate 10 bolts that came stock on my Jimmy? Also the tranfer case. I am kinda new at all this and just lookin for advice. Is there anything else I can swap out to make the Jimmy beafier?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Why do you want a Jimmy if you have a SUB?
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I agree, drive the Sub. But the axles will swap, and the t-case will also with the difficulty depending on the years of the two rigs.

4. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

you didn't say the year of the sub or the jimmy but i don't know what year it started but my buddy's (chvyhs) sub 3/4 ton had a30 spline 10bolt and a sf14 i think the subs do well on the trails we do!!! JMO /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. SoulStyles

SoulStyles Registered Member

I have had that Sub in some tight trails and the long wheel base kinda isnt pleasent sometimes. The whole thing flexs in funny ways. Not to mention the floor boards are all rusted through and the body is in need of replacment.

Is it personal prefrence with you guys or is there benifits to offroading the sub over the Jimmy?

The SUB is a 78 and the Jimmy is a 79.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Buck it off behind the doors and slap on a flatdeck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My shortened crewcab has a logger's box, and I found it was strong enough to pivot on when things got tight. Soon as the doors were clear, the box would fend for itself /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif