Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton swap, 4" lift, and 35" tires, a few questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JeremyK5, Nov 28, 2002.

1. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3/4 ton swap, 4\" lift, and 35\" tires, a few questions.

Over the next couple of months I'm going to switch to 3/4 ton, get 15x10 8 lug rims, do a 4" lift, and go up to 35" tires on my daily driver. I plan on installing things as I get them because I have a very limited budget, and I can't park it to work on it for more than a day at a time. The new axles have 4.10 gears, and my transmission is a th350. My questions are-

1. If I install the axles and rims first, can I use my 31" tires on the new rims and still be able to go 55-65 on the highway without hurting my 350 with a slightly noisy valvetrain?
    2. Does anybody have a pic online of what a blazer with 4"susp lift, a 3" body lift, and 31" tires looks like so I can know ahead of time just how stupid my blazer will look like till I save up for the 35" tires?
    3. I'm looking for (not too expensive) mild mud tires that will be driven on pavement most of the time. Right now I'm looking at BFG Mud-Terrain KM's and Procomp Mud-Terrains. Which would last longer on-road and which one would do better offroad- mainly light mud and rocks?

Thanks for any help you can give, and sorry for the long post.

2. Re: 3/4 ton swap, 4\" lift, and 35\" tires, a few questions.

In my opinoin 4.10 and 31" will make your rpms a bit high at 65 mph and will wear on that old engine but you'll be fine. I have ran both the older BFG mud's and the ProComp's and liked them both with the BFG's being my favorite. as for the 31's and 7" lift I don't have any picks but it will look prety silly.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: 3/4 ton swap, 4\" lift, and 35\" tires, a few questions.

Here's a pic of my 76 K5 with a 6" suspension lift and stock tires [​IMG] I'd go with a 6" lift if you're planning on 35" tires. Yes, you'll have to have new driveshafts made, but alot less work then the 4" suspension lift and 3" body lift. You can add ORD Zero rate add-a-leafs fot the additional 1" of suspension lift if you'r goal is 7" of lift. I've got a 6" suspension lift, planning on replacing the rear with Springer Suspension, adding the ORD Zero rates, and the ORD 1" body lift with poly mounts. I've got my 3/4 Ton axles sitting, and will probly start off with the 35" mud tires from Walmart sence they're only $120.00 each.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You'll be turning about 3200-3400 RPM at 70 on the highway. With 31's and 4.10 gears, that's what I would run at 70 in D, but I have OD so it went down to 2200...hehe
    The key would be just to not go so fast on the highway till you get larger tires.
    My dad's 67 Chevy C10 has 4.10 gears with 235/75 and a TH400, been like that for 4 years...no problems running on the highway.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would just do a 4" lift with 35's and skip the body lift. You can actually get all the parts togeather and do it in 1 weekend. Here are some pics of mine when it was on 4" and 35's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I can't take out the 3" body lift, because the floor from the 79 body is about 1" from the 76 frame where the floor dips down for the rear passenger footwell. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif