Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 Ton Swap is DONE: **d-shaft question**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

EDIT: IF YOU ARE READING THIS THREAD FOR THE FIRST TIME THERE IS A BUNCH OF JUNK IN THE FIRST FEW PAGES...THE DECISION TO GO AHEAD AND SWAP STARTS A COUPLE PAGES IN WITH THE DRAMA TO FOLLOW :wink1:

So I'm in the process of buying Matt's blazer and had some funding issues...my parents said they would float me the money to get the blazer then I could sell my truck and my 3/4 ton running gear (plus more out of my pocket probably) and pay them back...then the night before I was supposed to meet Matt in person (I've seen the truck twice but it was at his parent's house) my parents said they can't do it....which sucks because if I would have known that I would have sold my truck and stuff during the two weeks that I've been waiting to meet with Matt in person.
    Anyway now I'm needing to get something worked out and I was pondering the idea of going smaller with my K10 to help it sell...
    I was thinking that I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it right now just to sell it and not get any of it out but maybe if I put some 35's on it instead of the 38.5's it would sell quicker....with the 38.5's (and the fact that they are 16" wide!) it is a slug even though the engine is freshly rebuilt (30,000 ago).

So what do you all think? Would it be worth it to put some smaller tires on it even if it wouldn't look quite right with 9" of lift but it would make it run a heck of a lot better?
    Maybe I could find someone to trade straight across...my two 38.5" Baja Claws in great shape and my two 38.5" Baja Claws worn down quite a bit for four worn out 35" of some sort...

-Avery

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I think the 38.5's make your truck much more desirable to whoever would want to buy it.

3. Avery4jc

yeah but it depends on the person...around here it could go either way...I could get someone who doesn't plan on going off-road and just wants a big truck to drive around town in then it's ok...shoot that's all I do with it right now...or I could get someone that actually wants to hit some trails with it in which case they would be in trouble because it isn't re-geared yet.
    I was thinking about doing a package deal with the 14ff/d44 w/ 4.10's and everything to do a 3/4 ton swap since I have it all but I think I could get more if I sell it all off seperately.

-Avery

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

How much do you think you can get for your truck?

OR, how much can you get for parting out your truck?

5. Avery4jc

oh no that came across wrong...I meant sell the truck as is (1985 K10/700r4/208/9" lift/38.5"/10b's w/ 3.08's) Yikes! But yeah that's where it sits right now but cosmetically it's in great shape...and it has no rust.
    Then I have a complete 3/4 ton swap sitting in my garage...14ff/10b w/ 4.10's, 3/4 ton master cylinder, new u-bolts, upper spring plates, conversion u-joint, brand new 15x10 black steelies, etc.

So that's what I meant...sell the 3/4 ton swap and sell the truck apart...as opposed to selling the truck and giving the 3/4 ton stuff to whoever buys the truck.

-Avery

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if it is a dog with those gears and tires you won't get the money you want for it, including the 3/4ton stuff wont help much because the average joe wont want to swap all that in just to have a decent truck.

sell the 3/4 stuff, regear or drop you tire size, but 35's and 9" of lift will look a little funny, have you trimed the fenders?

7. Avery4jc

no I haven't trimmed...I measured these tires the other day and they measure out to 37"...so going to a "true size" 35" wouldn't look too bad...drop my ground clearance 1" and bring the tire in 1" from the fender wells...I rub anyway right now.

I found a guy on Pirate from here in Fresno who has some smaller MT Baja Claws that he wants to trade for some 38.5" Baja Claws...I'm going to see if we can work something out...his are brand new though so I was thinking we'd trade and I'd give some money on my end....who knows...

-Avery

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hopefully it can work in your favor, too many times deals like this have you putting more money in the truck and selling it for less then you wanted because your desprit.

9. Avery4jc

well the plan is to not put any money in it (unless it's like $100 for a set of used 35's or something)...Because I know that I'll never get what I put into it back out so I might as well sell it as is.

-Avery

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

do the 3/4 ton swap, it'll make the truck much more drivable in town, and much easier to sell.

11. Avery4jc

It's all about time buddy...if I thought I could do it then I would but with my limited knowledge and not much time I couldn't pull it off...

-Avery

12. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

keep your eye on the prize.What I am saying is that since youve been coming on here you have been looking at other trucks.Stop looking at buying other trucks and finish yours.Do the swap and drive the dern thing.Stop wasting your time and $ on looking at other rigs and spend it on yours.

13. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I agree with Bill. You should build a kick a$$ truck rather then buying a kick a$$ trucks. Trust me if you keep at it you will have a decent truck on your hands. You have a very nice truck all ready. just keep on going. Yea there have been times where I have thought about buying another truck. But I don't think I would find one up to my specs. If you know what I mean.

14. Avery4jc

Yeah I know what you all mean and I keep telling myself that I will but you have to remember the situation...I'm going to college in about 6 months...I can't finish my truck (axles, tires, transmission, etc.) in that amount of time not only because a lack of time but because of a lack of funds.
    That being said I have always been kicking myself in the butt for not starting with a blazer...I hate not having any interior space and only room for one other person...

-Avery

15. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I agree with you on that. But if your after a Blazer make sure you do some home work on the truck first. look at it from end to end. Mainly the floorpan and suppots. I just did a post in the garage on my floor pan "rebuild" Let me tell you it's a lot of work. Just a FYI. So just do your home work

16. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

strip your pick up down to stock and sell the parts including the 3/4 ton parts and sell your pick up at a later time. if that is not enough dough to purchase the K5, sell your pick up as soon as you can or put in some overtime at your job. if you don't have enough time for any of that, a 4x4 is not for you.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

14FF- unbolt u bolts, remove 10 bolt. slide 14FF under, install ubolts, hook up brake lines, bleed brakes. bolt on 8 lug wheels, DONE.

D44/10 bolt should be exactly the same. conversion ujoint on the rear, shouldnt need one on the front. since you're not messing with the lift height at all, your current steering will work just fine.

seriously, you're looking at a weekend's worth of work, and not alot of money if you already have the parts like you say you do. and that's going in with NO experience. someone with some experience could have it done in a couple hours easy.

18. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Exactly what I was thinking... it's maybe a days work for a newb and a buddy.

19. Avery4jc

Thats true...

-Avery

20. Avery4jc

oh I forgot to mention I have the 3/4 ton MC as well...so I could bolt that up before I bleed everything...

-Avery