Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton swap-Let's try this again!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5_73, Feb 8, 2001.

1. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

3/4 ton swap-Let\'s try this again!

I bought my 73K5 the other day, and I've been drooling about upgrading it. I have a 74 3/4 ton 4x4, with an NP203, 14bolt and Dana 44HD w/ new Warn premium hubs, and the old Jackman style 8 lug wheels. I would like to swap the diffs into my Blazer, and have a few questions about it. I'm pretty sure the 44HD will go right in there w/out any mods, and that the rear driveshaft yoke will need to be modded for the 14bolt. I was wondering if the rear brake lines will still reach, and if the brake booster and master cyl will need swapped in as well. Also I've heard that I may be lucky regarding the spring perches, as most people say that they should be the same. Can anyone let me know anything I've left out, and what I'm wrong about? Any info is appreciated. Thx. Oh, and for a few laughs, check out my page at k5-73.coloradok5.com

Stupid hurts

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Re: 3/4 ton swap-Let\'s try this again!

Everything will bolt right up, with the exception of the rear driveshaft.

ken

3. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, it should bolt right up.. You can use your rear driveshaft as well. However, you need a special U-joint. I found a brand new one in the glove box of my truck a few weeks back. I plan on doing a 3/4 ton swap with it. However, it would probably be best I go with a larger yoke shaft later on.
    I feel that the "trick" joint would probably be a weak spot in my drivetain.
    [​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I put axles from a '74 3/4-ton under my '75 K5. It's a bolt on task. Did the whole swap, by myself, in the parking lot at an apartment complex. That 14-bolt FF rear is one HEAVY mutha!!! Having a couple friends around to help move that beast will make life much easier for you.

The only difference is the u-joint. The yoke on the 3/4-ton takes a larger bearing cap. You can buy crossover u-joints that have 2 cap sizes. Half of it fits your driveshaft and the other half fits the 3/4-ton yoke.

I even put the 1/2-ton axles under the 3/4-ton and then sold that truck. I actually ended up getting paid to convert to the 3/4-ton axles on my K5! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

See how easy it sounds. You know you want to do it. All the cool kids are.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

Ok, I'm convinced. So Klunky, you up for it? Sounds like lot's 'O beer drinking, and power tools in our future. And if I could put my old diffs under my truck and sell it as a rolling chassis for a few bucks, that would rule! Laterz

Stupid hurts

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

How 'bout a 14 bolt from an '85 K20 into an '82 K5. Will the parking brake hook up also and everything else ( i know 'bout the u-joint)

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

More likely this 14 bolt from an 85 K20 is the semi-floater. The parking brake WILL NOT hook up, since the 82 and older brake cables are equal length. 83 and up have a longer passenger side cable which runs over the pinion/yoke to the driver side to meet with the driver side cable and run under the frame rail. The holes where the cables go into the backing plates are both different also.