Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton swap Q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Kell, Aug 18, 2003.

1. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

3/4 ton swap Q\'s

After starting the swap a few questions have surfaced that hopefully havent been recently discussed. But here goes anyway.

1.) The 3/4 ton gear I picked up came out of a K20 camper special, Someone mentioned that maybe this option came with 1 ton brakes, could this be true? and if so does this effect the fact that I'm going to be running 15 inch rims?

2.) The truck that the D44 came out of had a NP 203 t-case, will this need any special modifications or will i be able to swap in the warn Premiums that I had in my old 10 Blt /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif?

3.) Im currently running 36x12.50R15 super swamper sx's but I dont know my backspacing /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I have 4 inch suspension and 2 inch body and was wondering what your guys advice was on backspacing for 15x10 inch rims, any pictures would help also.

4.) the last is the easiest, Is the bolt pattern for Chevy 8 lug 8x6.5? And where can i find a good deal on a set?

Well, that about covers it for now and thanks in advance for helping an eighteen year old figure out what life is made of /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
    -Kell-

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: 3/4 ton swap Q\'s

1. I believe you can run 15" with the larger brakes. Go Disc /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    2.The Dana 44 shouldn't need any modifications and your hub's should bolt right in.
    3.I am not sure on backspacing. There are not a lot of options out there for 15" 8 lug. I have seen 2.5" and 4.25. I run 4.25 on mine ( pic below). I had to grind a bit check out my grinding here.
    4. Yeah 8 on 6.5 sounds right mine are Allied from Les Schwab.

4.25" backspace with 33x12.50's. This is the only pic I could find that shows how the tire will sit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

Here are my wheels except 8 lug.
    [​IMG]

3. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Sweet! thanks for the quality info and pics.
    -Kell-

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I like the 4.25" backspacing on my keystone waggies /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif with my 36x12.5-15 swampers it looks awesome! The best part was that they only cost me $43 a piece /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I hope you got some e-brake cables on your rear axle, if not then you'll most likely have to do some fabbing to get the cables to hook up. As for a disk swap, I was going to do the same thing (being 19 makes you want to do EVERYTHING even if you don't need to have it) but after adding up the cost for caddy calipers, rotors, backing plates, lines, proportioning valves, etc. it was too expensive for my tight budget. Drums will work fine and cost a whole lot cheaper. Do the swap to disks in the future, maybe when there's more bolt on parts for an e-brake, or some more choices other than the 30+ year old caddy calipers. Just my $.02... hope it helps. Oh and what gears do you have in those? My 3/4 tons came w/ 4.88's and a detroit

5. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I got 4.56's open front and rear. if this isnt to hard on my wallet i will throw in a detroit /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif! Being young and stupid really makes it hjard to have enough money to do everything that you want! You dont have any pics of the backspacing with those swampers do you?
    -Kell-

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm hoping to have pics up of the truck soon, since I have no digi cam. I've got a pic someone took w/ a camera phone on the east coast forum posted as "party at my house... 3/4 ton swap time" you can't tell from the pic how awesome the truck looks on those wheels though. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for cheapie rims summit has their 70 series (also known as white uglies) steel rims in 15" 8 x 6.5 pattern for $25 each. Paint em and you can have decent rims for just over $100

8. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

100 dollars /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. If you paint them does it throw them out of balance? either way it sounds like a cheap alternative. Still having a problem with the 203 t-case D44. Instead of a hub theres a cover with a diameter of around 5 inches with six bolts holding it on, oh by the way its from a 77 K20, my 87 10blt has the regular cap style hub and it doesnt seem interchangeable : /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. What gets me is my brother has warn premiums on his late 80's toyota 4-Runner and it looks like it would perfectly match up. Besides trying to guess on parts has anyone had this problem? could it be a simple fix like taking the rotor or something off my old 10blt and using it on my new D44? Any help would really save my ass right now, thanks.
    -Kell-

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Yeah I bet your D44 is like mine, external type hubs from a Fulltime 4wd rig. There is a manual lockout you can buy its baout $125 from what I have seen, also from Warn. I think I'm just going to run my D44 fulltime anyhow, I'll decide at a later date if I want the hubs. PIC more pics

As far as my understanding goes if you use the old 10bolt calipers you might need to swap out the backing plates and find 8lug rotors. It might be cheaper to take to it with a grinder. I'm sure a search of caliper grinding (I beleive a good one is in the Advanced Preview area /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif).

10. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Yep, thats what my hubs look like, does that mean it will always be locked in? that oughta suck down some extra gas!
    -Kell-

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    does that mean it will always be locked in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. If you pull off that cover you will see splines that engage the axle shafts and obviously those 6 bolts attach the cover to the hub. As mentioned before, there are locking hubs available for the external style hubs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jjlaughner

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

BTW, thats a good price for those hubs, $99 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are worried about caliper grinding you could use a 10bolt 8lug setup and swap the backing plates, rotors, and calipers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If ya run more than a 2.5" backspace grinding is still required to fit 15's.

Here's mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

If ya run more than a 2.5" backspace grinding is still required to fit 15's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those would be the ones I was talking about above
    [ QUOTE ]
    It might be cheaper to take to it with a grinder. I'm sure a search of caliper grinding (I believe a good one is in the Advanced Preview area ).

[/ QUOTE ]

16. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I think I'll be fine with the caliper grinding but as far as those hubs go they are listed for up 76 3/4 ton chevys, I got it out of a 77 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Hopefully they are the same.
    -Kell-

17. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I'll be fine with the caliper grinding but as far as those hubs go they are listed for up 76 3/4 ton chevys, I got it out of a 77 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Hopefully they are the same.
    -Kell-

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it was out of a '77? The D44 I got out of a '77 was an internal hub design. The '76 and older 3/4 tons were the external type. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

the title for the truck said 77 but the guy was pretty far out there /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and it could have been the wrong title, I didn't check the VIN i just wanted the axles and block /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
    -Kell-

19. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

If your hubs look like the axle in jjlaughner's pics then just buy the external locking hubs and they will work for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    If your hubs look like the axle in jjlaughner's pics then just buy the external locking hubs and they will work for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep 77 3/4 ton GMC truck here! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif