Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton swap what will I need

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Oct 10, 2006.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

If all goes right I will be picking up a set of 3/4 to axles this weekend. Hope to install them in a couple of weeks. I have searched and found some good infomation but still have questions. My first question. Will I need backing plates for the front d44 and spring plates for the back 14 bolt? What are backing plates and spring plates? I read their are lower and top spring plates. Which will I need? The axles will be going in my 89 k5. They 3/4 tons are coming out of an 80's truck. I know I will need a ujoint #447 to replace the back 10 bolt ujoint. Anything else? Sorry if these are dumb questions. :doah:

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You will need new U-bolts of the proper size, 14ff spring plates, and a conversion U-joint for the rear.

The front depending on the year of the axle you may need new U-bolts, once again depending on the year you may need new spring plates, the front driveshaft U-joints in factory form are all the same size. If you get this axle with the calipers it would be easier to keep your calipers and not even disconnect them and just hook them to the new caliper bracket and save time from bleeding and/or buying new brake lines because of different banjo bolt sizes. If the axles have the same gearing as your current axles then it would be easier to just swap the outers up front rather than swapping the complete axle.

3. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Thanks 4x4 high, one more question if you don't mind. I have a set of longer brake lines that were not instatlled with the 8' lift. So I really don't need to install longer brake lines? Thanks

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your current brake lines are long enough then you do not need to change them, however if the truck has been lifted and no one has changed the factory rubber lines to a longer stainless braided line then i would advise doing so.

5. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks again.

6. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

So you are telling me when I swap in my dana 44 8 lug in place of my GM 10 6 lug I can simply reuse my origianl calipers onto the dana 44 discs? Will the bolts all line up? Size of caliper match?
    Thanks

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Thats correct. Just take the calipers off the 10 bolt and tie em back, no need to remove the brake lines. Swap in the new axle, then bolt the calipers back on and you're done.