Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by evil bastard, Jul 9, 2000.

1. evil bastard

evil bastard Registered Member

hey all, just read the article on the main page but im still wondering.....my 74 has a d44 front/12bolt rear. will a 3/4 ton 8 lug d44 bolt right in? i was wondering about caliper sizes and brake fittings(id like to use my ss brake hoses) as for the rear......is everything compatible, such as brake hose fitting, spring perches, etc? will i need a different brake proportioning valve for the bigger drums? this swap wont happen for a while but id like to know all i can ahead of time.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Both axels will bolt right in. The calipers are different so you will have to change the brake lines in front. the rear will be fine, EXCEPT for the E-Brake cable you will have to get a backing plate off of a 14sf or get the E-Brake lines from a 3/4 ton. I also wondered about the breaking thing, the Power booster is no diferent between a 1/2 and a 3/4 ton truck and you should have no probles with the proportioning valve. It is a match made in heaven!!

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

for optimum braking, you should use the 3/4 ton master cyl. the wheel cylinders are larger on the rear and require more fluid to operate.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!