Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton vs 1 ton axles: which fits?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Sep 26, 2000.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have seen both opinions bandied about here. some people say the 1 ton version of the 14bolt fits blazers, others say 3/4 ton fits. The GM Owner's Bible says 3/4 tons fit, because the 1-ton spring perches are set too close together. Various 4wd magazines have said the same thing. I would tend to believe the books/magazines, but I recall seeing someone post here that they USED a 1 ton under a blazer.

So, which is it?

for the record, I'm going with 3/4 ton, but I am willing to revise that if given proof.

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>A 1 ton rear will bolt up to a 1st gen K5, and a 3/4 ton will bolt up to a 73-91 K5</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

They are essentially the same axle in the rear, if they are Full Floater 14 bolts. The only difference is: 1) the 1 ton axle has spring perches closer together and , 2) the 1 ton has bigger drums than the 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton FF14 bolt will fit a 73 and up blazer with no spring perch modifications. The 1ton FF14 bolt will fit a 69-72 blazer with no spring perch modifications. Some 3/4 tons also have semi floater 14 bolts. Not sure about them.

BIGJ

4. I was told that the single axle one ton 14bolt ff would bolt right in?The dualy axle was the one that would'nt?
    Oh well,good luck.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

5. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Bogbad, I think this is because the dually would always come from a 1-ton truck. However, the spacers on a dually axle will fit the 3/4 ton version, so you can run dual wheels if you want (this is how my last blazer was set up).

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com