Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton...what tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nerraw117, Mar 29, 2005.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

ok before i get bashed, i did search and i did alot. i cold not come up with the just right post. i have a 85 k5 with fender trim, 4 inch springs front and shackle flip rear (not quite on yet) and a 1 inch body lift. i have a 14bff rear with a 10 bolt front. i had been looking at some tsl, or tsl/sx. anyone like one better? and whats the largest size tire i should run, i plan on a locker on rear for sure maybe front also, so whats a good size tire? everyone says 35 inch but i dont see how that is good at all with that big pumpkin rear. and i will go into mud, trail and rocks every once in awhile

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the flex you will have and the tire size its still going to rub. i ahd 1 ton truck with 6" lift , 3" body and flip in rear and longer shackles in frt . the 38 tsl i had rubed in the frt. i had atlest 10-12" of fender of gap. that combo flexes. i also ran 35s on it from time to time. no big problems in mud. also had locker. that helps.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'll say 36-37's, keep the front open. lock the rear and shave the diff. throw some fresh ujoints in the front, the good spicer 5-760's. should hold up fine for your type of wheeling

4. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

what do yall think are better? tsl/sx or bias tsl? 36/12.50x15 or 38/12.50x15
    anyone like them sizes or one of them tires? i have heard so many mixed results from tsl vs tsl/sx

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

how much street driving do you do? radials are much better on a DD. i've heard alot of good things about the 37x12.50 iroks as well. i'd go with those or a radial 36x12.50 tsl. i think 38 is too big for a 10b front

6. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

its not buy DD by any means, im not to fond of iroks at all, but isnt 12.5 a skinny tire? the only driving i will do is to a wheeling spot

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

its not too skinny, depends on your taste. has less overall weight and footprint which can help keep your ujoints alive. why dont u like iroks? i've heard very good things about them. perfect choice for a trail rig IMO

8. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i heard they were terrible in the mud and on road, i dont think i need a radial but i will have to drive to wheeling spots or the occasional once in 2 weeks driving lol

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

hmmm, thats strange. ive heard the exact opposite. i'd probly get bias for what you do, tho i think bias tires weigh more than a radial in the same size. not sure tho. you want the lightest tire/wheel combo you can get go keep from breaking stuff in the front.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The Iroks do great in the mud. Large tread voids, cupped outter tread like Boggers...

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

fyi on the tsls the 36 ver the 38 is about 3/4 " taller. i have had both. save some money and get the 36" . and i have run bias for all. about 25 psi in them.

12. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

which do yall like better tsl or tsl/sx? i dont want the irok because of its road life, and is radial tsl worse as in lugs closer together? im still leaning toward bias but dont know which is better tsl bias or tsl/sx bias?

13. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

33s son, learn to drive. Get your junk runnin reliably and learn to drive it before you start thinkin about big meats and 'tons.

14. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

Ive Had Ssr's And Now Have Tsl's Both Ssr's Better On The Road Not As Good In Selfcleaning In The Sticky Mud Though But Has Alot Better Road Manners With Its Sipping For Wet Roads And Wear Alot Better Being The Lugs Are Closer Together Than The Tsl's I Like My Tsl,s I Got Now 15/35/15 Not Dd Frenidly Even Though I Use It As That Right Now, Since My Other Truck Is Up On Jackstands, Right Now And Work Well On The Road Better Than I Expected Not As Good As The Ssr's On The Road But Alot Better In The Mud Because Lugs Are Further Apart And They Are Wider Than My Ssr' Were If Your Not Using For The Money I Would Get The Regular Tsl's Over The Tsl/sx
    Regualr Tsl Seem To Have A Deeper Tread Than The Sx Even Though Super Swamper Says They Are The Same Plus With The Regular Tsl You Will Save 50 Or 60 Bucks Total You Can Use For Something Else

15. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

thx, that was the main purpose of this post is to see what people like better bias tsl or tsl/sx and i finnaly got a good answer. :D yea i have heard the tsl/sx were heavier also because of the belting they use

16. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

33s????with a 3/4 ton rear a 4 in lift, he is going to have PLENTY of room for flexing but a major lack ofground clearance. with a 33in tire the 14b will dig into the middle of ruts like no other. i think 36s are good but when i get my 14b outa the garage and in the blazer im goin with 37-38.5s

lol and who you callin son. your only 18.

17. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

but wouldnt 38's be too much for a 10 bolt front? or you think upgraded shafts and joints solve that? lol

18. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

oand zentree arent you 19?? how can i almost be 18 and still a junior in high school.... :confused:

19. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

im not goin any higher then 38s.

with my front 10 bolt.

me personally i do alot of mud and some easy trails.

noo.. i dont think upgraded joints and shafts will fix that,

ill just keep a collection of spares