Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 ton...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaggyk5, Dec 16, 2000.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

yo! i have a set of 3/4 ton axles, front and rear, open 4.11's, in really good condition (I have seen them inside and out) out of an 85 pickup. the guy is asking $300 for both of them.

1) This is a good price, right?
    2) Since they are out of an 85, that means im getting a 3/4 ton 10 bolt front. Are these completely different than 1/2 ton ten bolts?

--matt

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think you mean a Dana 44 HD. Take a look at the technical section of this site, the axle I.D. section is what you want. The only other easy way to figure this out is to mesure the ring gear diameter.

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

no, im pretty sure the 3/4 ton 10 bolt replaced the 44hd in like 80 or 81. i could be wrong though.

--matt

shaggyk5

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Dude I am far from right 90% of the time. I am thinking you should get a measurement of the ring gear.

5. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

shaggy's right, It's a 10 bolt and you don't have to measure the ring gear, you can tell by the cover if you know the differences between the two, I don't but have seen the different covers in magazines.
    Now, the 3/4 ton 10 bolt has a little thicker axleshafts, heavier duty axle stubs, larger bearings, and bigger hubs.
    That said, $300 for the set is an awesome deal then if you want to upgrade to a Dana 60 someday you'll already have the 8 lug rims, you can sell the 10 bolt for around $200 throw in a hybrid U-joint and you
    're on your way. Or you can save up for a Dana 60 wheel the pee out of the 10 bolt and if it never breaks use the money for some other upgrade [​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Matt, that sounds like a smokin' deal. I could blow $300 in a bar on the weekend (in my younger less sober days [​IMG])
    You could almost find that money in your couch![​IMG]
    I'd say go for it!
    I'm not too sure how different the 3/4 ton 10 bolts are. I've heard conflicting stories about the Dana 44 and now the same thing with 10 bolts. I.E. thicker tubes and bigger bearings. It may be true, but I've never had a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton front end 44 or 10 side by each to measure and compare. Even if they are a little "heavier duty" I'm sure they'll still puke parts with just the right amount of abuse[​IMG]
    I've got the 8 lug Dana 44 under the front of my Jimmy and I try to wheel it hard. I've only had to replace 1 u-joint in 3 years and I run 35's. Mine is supposedly a Dana 44 HD, thats what I was told when I bought it. How much that means in the real world I don't know.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Sounds like quite a deal to me. Those axles don't grow on trees!

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I say for $300 it would be well worth it. Just a 4.10 gear swap for your 10 bolts would cost at least twice that. Those axles will bolt right up to your truck, all you need is the hybrid u-joint for the rear. The 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton axles, dana 44 and 10 bolt, are identical except for brake backing plates, hubs, and rotors. I've heard that the calipers are different, but I have 1/2 ton calipers on my 77 HD dana 44 and they work fine. Is he selling the stock rims and tires with it? You can run them until you have enough cash for a lift and bigger tires. </font color=blue>

9. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

i am in my garage changing 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axles as I right this. I have both a 1/2 and 3/4 10 bolt and every thing is basically the same from what i have measured and cross referenced parts to find. The only difference between the two axles are the hub housing, rotor and bearings. The spindles are even the same as the inside of the bearings are all the same, its just that they are larger in the 3/4 ton. also 3/4 ton trucks had two different brake sets a small 1/2 ton style front brake pad and a larger "heavy duty" brake pad. this was used with the larger rear drums. Both pads will work with any 3/4 ton setup they use the same caliper, so just purchase the larger ones for a little more bite. Also the calipers all appear to be the same between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 tons. also the same hub and rotor setup off a 10 bolt axle will slide right on a dana 44 making it a dana 44HD and they too have the same calipers. so mix and match what you want, for me I have been running a 1972 dana 44 1/2 with 1975 dana 44 1/2 steering knuckles and spindles with 1979 10 bolt 3/4 hubs and rotors to give me the perfect match for my 14 bolt.also i have two 3/4 ton chevys both with 10 bolts.

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

sweet guys. im gonna call the guy back tommorrow, and pray that he still has them. im pretty sure that he does still have them, he said not too many people have even called, and i was the first who came and looked, so wish me luck.

For a poor college kid such as myself, 300 bucks isn't couch change, but it is do-able. so we'll see what happens.

shaggyk5

11. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Extremeblazer is right. I am doing the same exact swap, it is a quick and easy fix to some of the 10 bolt problems, and it hopefully will last until the day I can afford my Dana 60! Only the hubs and rotors need to be changed, and the bearings in that hub will be the 3/4 ton version. Same calipers. I am also using the larger 3/4 brake pads...it allows me to match the rear 14 bolt nicely.

12. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

is it possible to get 15" rims for these axles?
    i like the tire options available for a 15 inch rim.

shaggyk5

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can get 15's, but only in steel. 15 inch aluminum wheels are too thick to clear the front calipers. Even with steel 15 inch wheels you'll have to do some grinding on the caliper and its mounting bracket. Even after grinding, the inner edge of the wheel is VERY close to the caliper.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

14. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>HarryH3 is correct, I have this setup on my 3/4 ton axles and it is tight. I've had them in mud way over the top of the tires and gravel-bottomed streams too, havent had any rim-to-brake clearance problems. The greater tire selection is one of the reasons I chose to run 15s. I'll have pictures up soon</font color=blue>

15. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

no aluminum? bummer. Not much choice in steel wheels. I hate to sound vain, but I am 19 yars old. I want a truck that looks cool when i go cruisin on friday nights, as well as being totally functional on the trail. Damn. Anyone know where to get a cool looking steel wheel?

shaggyk5

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think Bart makes some steel wheels that are decent-looking. National Tire & Wheel has them, I believe. They call them "monster truck" wheels, because they come in big sizes.
    Shaggy, if you need some help, let me know. I'd love to help out if I can!!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can go with aluminum in a 16 inch wheel. It really narrows your choice of tire though.

If you run mud and don't worry about airing down, I'll soon be selling a nice set of American Racing slotted aluminum mags that are 16.5 x 9.75. I need a safety bead so I can air down for rock running in The Rockies.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

18. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, ill check out the "monster wheels" I am trying to avoid the 16.5's for that very reason. Oh well.

Jarhead, If i need any help with anything, i promise ill give you a shout. Between me and my best friend, we have mostly all the tools and hands we need for most things, but if there is anything we think is beyond us, ill let you know. Thanx man!

shaggyk5

19. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

You can run aluminum wheels just the expensive ones. I had the AE 589's and they rubbed the calipers so I went to Centerlines new Polaris wheels and no more issues. They aare rated at 32oo lbs. per wheel vs. AE 1800 per. wheel. They look awesome I think they only make 3 syles in that line.

20. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Did you grind the calipers and still had trouble with 589's? or was this with out trimming. im really tring to think on a budget here. Although i do agree the centerlines look sweet.

shaggyk5