Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3.42 to 3.08

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBurban350, Sep 27, 2002.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I have a 90' Suburban 4x4 with a a recently blown out 10-bolt axle in it with 3.42 gears. I dont have a lot of money, but I found a 12-bolt w/ 3.08 gears for a $100. I am planning on putting that in very soon. I figured I would only use the 4wd when I get stuck. Is this bad to change the gears like that, will it blow out my tranny. I am planning 3/4 axles for the summer of 2003, I just need something to move my truck.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do not put it in 4 wheel drive like this you will blow your transfer case /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

after I blew my rear 10 bolt I put in a 14FF with 4.10 gears but the front was still teh stock 3.23 gears. Used 4x4 a couple times in soft conditions and it worked once you really got on it to break the front end loose. I had to replace teh t-case 6 months late. I also drive the truck w/o the rear shaft one night too after blowing up a u-joint and the 208 slip yoke lost lube. I think those 2 rears contributed to the t-case loosing 4Lo. 2hi and 4hi worked ok still but replaced it with a 241 anyways.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you only use 4wd in a condition where the tires are actually spinning, like if the back tires are in mud and the truck is stuck, then there is absolutely no reason you should hurt anything as long as you shift back to 2wd as soon as you are out and on solid ground.

5. GloNDark

GloNDark Registered Member

I have a set of 10 bolt 3.07 gears I will sell you real cheap. Let me know

Chris

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Where are you? I have a set of axles: 10B front & 12B rear. Both have 3.42s in them. I was asking $200 for pair as I won't split. Make me a reasonable offer & I'll consider it. If you have something to trade, I'll consider that also. Just PM me.