Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3.4L Engine Swap

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by 4x4Jimmy, Jun 3, 2002.

1. 4x4Jimmy

4x4Jimmy Newbie

To do a 3.4L engine swap into my 86 Jimmy, with the weak 2.8L what mods would I have to do? Or is it I can just pull out the 2.8 and drop the 3.4 in? And also is there a website that has crate 3.4 engines for sale? thanks for all the help

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since you have a carb, then it should be pretty much a direct swap. If you want to pep it up a little more, Edelbrock makes an intake for the 2.8/3.4 liter engines that will accept a Holley 390 cfm 4-barrel carb. The folks at www.sdpc2000.com have the 3.4 liter long block for sale.

3. 4x4Jimmy

4x4Jimmy Newbie

Mine dosent have the carb, its the TBI model. Could I still do the swap? or would i have to make a bunch of mods?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, I didn't know the S-trucks had EFI in '86. You'll probably need to call the folks at Scoggins-Dickey and see if they know anything about the swap. There may be some notes in their manuals on what, if any mods are required.

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

1987 was the first year for the tbi.

go to www.s10-4x4.org

there are a few of us who have done the 3.4 swap. i have and its really easy.

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Hey, is this volpster? I noticed the siggy was the same. This is Bryan from the first Jam. How is it going?

7. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

hey brian , nice to see you floating around. yeah m, been coming here ever since i got my k5. i still have my s15 and it get bigger and better everyday. where have you been ?

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Ah, I've been working. The S-10 is just sitting, collecting rust. Can't afford to put insurance on it anymore, so it is just sitting for a while. Most of my money is going into my Firebird and Trans Am projects. How long have you had a K5? I'm probably buying a 79 longbed Chevy in a little while, then I'll be wheeling again!

9. s10350power

s10350power Registered Member

I was thinking about the same thing but for the price of the 3.4 u can just buy a rebuilt 350 and the conversion kit. I think my local gm dealer told me that it was a direct swap and mine is a 88

10. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

well the cost of my 3.4 motor was about $1600.00 , including
    gaskets. i just switched everything over from my 2.8. plus me and some friends put it in , so that saved on labor. and
    you can use the original tranny.
    now if you go 350, you will have to change alot more and the cost will be alot more.