Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4t Caliper Grinding w/ 15" Rims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Oct 27, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I see everyone talking about having to grind calipers on 3/4 ton 10-bolt axles when using 15" rims. I have 15x12 rims with 4.25" backspacing, and they seem to fit. They rub the caliper support plate (or whatever you call it, that bolts behind the spindle and the caliper hangs from) ever so slightly, but a little grinding and they clear. Am I missing something or is this ok?

2. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I had to grind the caliper holders on my Dana 44 in order to make the 15" wheels as well. Seemed to work.

3. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

Tighten up all of your lugs and try again. If it sounds like it rubs you clould do what I did and put a little bit of white paint on the inside of the rim and let it free spin then take it off and see where it rubbed. It was a huge PITA for me, I had to grind alllllllooooootttttt. Glad to hear it was a little easier for you :waytogo:

4. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

I went with a 15x8 8 hole with 2.75" backspacing, no caliper grinding whatsoever..

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I think I'll try that paint trick.

6. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

make sure you got a fresh set of brake pads in there also. it make the caliper stick out further and as was posted torque down the lug nuts. i bet you will find you need to grind.