Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4ton suburban to k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Apr 17, 2006.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    I have a 79 k5 and a maybe 70ish 3/4ton sub were taking the axels off of and tranny and tcase. What tcase is on it (it has 4 high, low, and 2 high, where as k5 only has all time 4wd) and tranny is it? While im swapping the axels should I swap those out too? Also what is needed to turn the rear breaks disk? Anything else I need for the swap?

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

the burb sounds like it has a 205 transfer case. there are several trannies it could be. thats way to vague of a question. thats like asking us what motor is has. if its an auto, it should have a TH350 or Th400. the 400 is the prefered one (stronger). but it could also have a manual (most likely a sm465). the axles (well rear) will be an upgrade for you. then you will want to change your front over to 8 lug. but perhaps changing the whole front axle would be better if the the new one had matching gears to the new rear. you may need new drivelines when going from a 203 to 205, but im not sure. to conver to rear disks, you just need some 3/4 ton hardware (rotors and calipers) and some brackets to attach the caliper to the housing. there are several companies that make this bracket. ORD, DIY4x, Sky-manufacturing, just to name a few.

3. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    DIy4x was one of the companies I was looking for, there shackle flip looks strong. It is an auto. Unfortunatley the blazer isn't here or I'd post photos. What is a visible diference between the 350 and 400? From what I hear the 205 is the much better tcase.

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

yes, the 205 is arguably the better choice. it is stronger, and part time. it also can be twin sticked.

here is how to identify the tranny by the pan.
    [​IMG]

also, yes DIY has a good shackle flip. i have it and it looks even stronger when it is in your hands. it supprised me.