Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4ton swap and lift...problems afterwards...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NITRO, Aug 18, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well, i got my 4" lift on alright after using the cutting torch on majority of the bolts. now im into the drivetrain that is givin me problems. my 14bff was locked up so i went and bought another one. well, it turns out this one has 3.73 and my other one and my front both hae 4.10. so i guess ill b swapping the whole brake system from the one with 3.73 to my origianal one. what a PITA. and, i bought those extened lines from napa. the drivers side line worx great, but the passngers side is squirtin it out like there is a pin hole there. but there isnt. so im gonna try using a gasket maker material to try to get that part to stop leaking. so its just one thing after another. does autozone rent one of those vacum brake bleeders??? thanx alot for the help

NITRO

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Gasket maker probably won't do squat on a brake line, they develop way too much pressure. Where exactly is it leaking? </font color>

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

it was squirting right outta the connection to the caliper....it seemed to have sealed itself overnite though.?.? kinda odd but we'll c if it worx

NITRO

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

the banjo bolts have (or at least mine did).. copper compression washers on them to seal them. Might be time 4 some new ones...?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, there should be a compression washer on each side of the banjo fitting. If you did install new ones, make sure that one of the old washers isn't stuck on the caliper. Doubling up the washers can cause a leak.

Gasket maker will NOT work in that situation. Your brake system can generate pressures approaching 2,000 PSI during hard braking. Paper gasket material is designed to withstand the 17 PSI or so from your cooling system. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

What do you mean your 14 bolt was "locked up"? Did you investigate the cause? You probably can get it "unlocked" with lots of PB Blaster and gentle rocking of the housing against the drums.

Or it could even be the brakes...a very simple fix.

Tell us more, you may not have to scrap it

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well, i went out and bought another one with 3.73 gears. the other one was locked up cause of the brakes and with an 8 foot pry bar, i got em off and will b puttin the whole brake assembly off the axle with 3.73( just finished today and am driving it till next saturday due to saturday) and put it on my original axle with 4.10 then i will b finished. so thanx for the help and tips.

NITRO